Is this normal

Lovechell69

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
my vet gave me injections for my baby Amara. I was shown how to give them between the leg neck area. I know baytril stings and she just got it. My question is is it normal she doesn’t want to use that leg. She can but and did to get away. Seeing your vet give the injection versus giving it I am not sure if the medication hurt her causing her to not want to use it or if I did something wrong. I’m a person and I’ve had the bad shots that make me not want to use my arm sometimes a leg. I love Amara and she can’t speak human only how dare you

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
my vet gave me injections for my baby Amara. I was shown how to give them between the leg neck area. I know baytril stings and she just got it. My question is is it normal she doesn’t want to use that leg. She can but and did to get away. Seeing your vet give the injection versus giving it I am not sure if the medication hurt her causing her to not want to use it or if I did something wrong. I’m a person and I’ve had the bad shots that make me not want to use my arm sometimes a leg. I love Amara and she can’t speak human only how dare you
Baytril is known to hurt. Why is she on injections anyway?

Lovechell69

Arkansas
She has a respiratory infection. Her vet is leaving town and can’t give her the rest of the injections. The vet is great. He loves animals and very experienced. He has more confidence in me than I do. I had a small humidifier at the far end of Amara’s aquarium and three nights ago it malfunctioned putting the humidity off the charts. Thank goodness I wake early. I noticed her appetite went way down yesterday she sneezed a few times and was not acting like her perky self. I live in Arkansas so finding exotic vets was painstaking. I called her regular vet she’s out until Monday so they gave me a number after six calls to vets that are out of town or not accepting new patients I called her normal vet and made the appointment for when the vet will be back. I’ve done the soaks and nasal wash but she wasn’t getting better. I called the vet who treats our dogs and cat on a long shot because he has a bearded dragon and he knew how to treat Sulcatas. I couldn’t watch my children get shots and Amara owns my heart. She’s moving her leg a little now but yes painfully. I’m not high on her list right now however she’s doing much better. Just me speaking but my animals mean more to me than anything else in the world. She gives me way more than I could ever give her

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, hopefully, she is on the mend. Bump her temps to about 85 while she is sick and soak her daily, maybe even use carrot soaks. The antibiotics may surpress her appetite and the carrot soaks will help. She will absorb some nutrition from them.

Melis

Maryland
She has a respiratory infection. Her vet is leaving town and can’t give her the rest of the injections. The vet is great. He loves animals and very experienced. He has more confidence in me than I do. I had a small humidifier at the far end of Amara’s aquarium and three nights ago it malfunctioned putting the humidity off the charts. Thank goodness I wake early. I noticed her appetite went way down yesterday she sneezed a few times and was not acting like her perky self. I live in Arkansas so finding exotic vets was painstaking. I called her regular vet she’s out until Monday so they gave me a number after six calls to vets that are out of town or not accepting new patients I called her normal vet and made the appointment for when the vet will be back. I’ve done the soaks and nasal wash but she wasn’t getting better. I called the vet who treats our dogs and cat on a long shot because he has a bearded dragon and he knew how to treat Sulcatas. I couldn’t watch my children get shots and Amara owns my heart. She’s moving her leg a little now but yes painfully. I’m not high on her list right now however she’s doing much better. Just me speaking but my animals mean more to me than anything else in the world. She gives me way more than I could ever give her
The humidity isn’t the problem that would cause an infection, it’s the combination of high humidity and too low temps. What are your enclosure temps? What is the nasal wash you spoke of? Unfortunately just because the vet has a bearded dragon doesn’t mean he knows the best treatment for a tort.

I’m going to tag @Yvonne G to give some advice on the baytril.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
Not being a mean person I should have worded that better about the bearded dragon. I knew if I drove to his office he had the resources better than myself to reach out to vets he may know who could help treat Amara’s respiratory infection. He doesn’t treat exotics but as a part of his education and training he also knows how to treat them. Yes he has a bearded dragon that is what made me think of talking to him. His practice is not for exotic animals but he does have the education training love of reptiles a nice honest person who is more than willing to help. He got ahold of the contact exotic vet he knew and that was more than I could find. I had read in the archives in this forum about carrot soaks nasal flushes hiking the temperature up and about baytril. I didn’t have to tell him the information I read but once the vet and his contact formed a treatment plan I listened before he did any treatment. Everything I just said I read in here he told me he wanted to do for treatment. I knew the baytril burned/stung/hurt bad but Amara is sick and if I could give my life for her it’s hers. I got scared because I was not used to seeing her that way and the shot knowing and seeing how it affects your baby are two different things. I have seven thermometers two humidity gauges a under tank heater hooked to a thermostat programmed to keep the substrate from getting cold. It never turns on though I have a side mounted warmer set at 85 on the warm side also on a thermostat two 75 watt daylight uvb/uva lights two infrared a red healing uva/uvb heat light i use for a hour a night because she loves it and shows it I keep her humidifier set to keep a fifty to sixty humidity level. Higher absolutely did make her sick. Her diet I have listened in this forum and read and read and consulted with three vets to make sure she gets what she’s supposed to. She is in a 80 gallon aquarium with fresh air screens warm end 85 basking 90 cool end 75 no lower cuttlebone calcium d3 powder no tap water coconut fiber substrate soaked daily. I’m sorry I listened read and have valued opinions and perfect I will never be but I didn’t get Amara on a whim. I have three grown children two grand children and I would never have taken them to a eye doctor for a kidney infection. A needle would never have touched Amara from anyone who had absolutely no knowledge education training and his exotic vet agreeing on. I’m sorry I have given the impression I’m wreckless irrational dangerous totally uneducated and not loving Amara. I won’t ask questions anymore. I will read the forum and it’s archives though. Thanks to those who have given opinions and shared knowledge. Amara is doing much better. A nasal flush is saline water in a syringe that has this tiny thing for the nasal openings. You slight tilt your sulcata and have the neck gently rest on your fingers while in that position and one side at a time slowly push the saline make sure you have a small dish under her. It thins and helps get the mucus out make sure the tilt is done. Oh thank you about the carrot soak. I read about it in the archives. Your right and I’ve heard many people since agree. A woman started talking about scientific and studies prove nothing. Someone in this forum said it best. I don’t know about science I know it works for some reason.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Not being a mean person I should have worded that better about the bearded dragon. I knew if I drove to his office he had the resources better than myself to reach out to vets he may know who could help treat Amara’s respiratory infection. He doesn’t treat exotics but as a part of his education and training he also knows how to treat them. Yes he has a bearded dragon that is what made me think of talking to him. His practice is not for exotic animals but he does have the education training love of reptiles a nice honest person who is more than willing to help. He got ahold of the contact exotic vet he knew and that was more than I could find. I had read in the archives in this forum about carrot soaks nasal flushes hiking the temperature up and about baytril. I didn’t have to tell him the information I read but once the vet and his contact formed a treatment plan I listened before he did any treatment. Everything I just said I read in here he told me he wanted to do for treatment. I knew the baytril burned/stung/hurt bad but Amara is sick and if I could give my life for her it’s hers. I got scared because I was not used to seeing her that way and the shot knowing and seeing how it affects your baby are two different things. I have seven thermometers two humidity gauges a under tank heater hooked to a thermostat programmed to keep the substrate from getting cold. It never turns on though I have a side mounted warmer set at 85 on the warm side also on a thermostat two 75 watt daylight uvb/uva lights two infrared a red healing uva/uvb heat light i use for a hour a night because she loves it and shows it I keep her humidifier set to keep a fifty to sixty humidity level. Higher absolutely did make her sick. Her diet I have listened in this forum and read and read and consulted with three vets to make sure she gets what she’s supposed to. She is in a 80 gallon aquarium with fresh air screens warm end 85 basking 90 cool end 75 no lower cuttlebone calcium d3 powder no tap water coconut fiber substrate soaked daily. I’m sorry I listened read and have valued opinions and perfect I will never be but I didn’t get Amara on a whim. I have three grown children two grand children and I would never have taken them to a eye doctor for a kidney infection. A needle would never have touched Amara from anyone who had absolutely no knowledge education training and his exotic vet agreeing on. I’m sorry I have given the impression I’m wreckless irrational dangerous totally uneducated and not loving Amara. I won’t ask questions anymore. I will read the forum and it’s archives though. Thanks to those who have given opinions and shared knowledge. Amara is doing much better. A nasal flush is saline water in a syringe that has this tiny thing for the nasal openings. You slight tilt your sulcata and have the neck gently rest on your fingers while in that position and one side at a time slowly push the saline make sure you have a small dish under her. It thins and helps get the mucus out make sure the tilt is done. Oh thank you about the carrot soak. I read about it in the archives. Your right and I’ve heard many people since agree. A woman started talking about scientific and studies prove nothing. Someone in this forum said it best. I don’t know about science I know it works for some reason.
As for your temps, they are on the low side. Temps should be no lower then 80 in the entire tank. Basking should be 95 to 100 and humidity should be 80 to 100. Temps being on the low side can cause an ri. Bump temps to no lower then 85 while your tort is sick. It will help. I have babies set up in a closed chamber with these settings and have no problems with illness. Just be warned, vets do not have a lot of training with tortoises unless they specialize in there care. Most “Exotic” vets go by what they learned in there books and have never cared for tortoises. They will give you a lot of old outdated information. We have many very experienced people here on the forum which have been doing this for years. They have raise torts the old way and have made many changes to tort care, improving the way they are raised with great results. We are not trying to tell you how to raise your tort, just trying to help prevent your tortoise from undue suffering. We are here to help. Salcata tortoises are born during the monsoon season and do need the high humidity but, the temps have to be right or they will get sick. You are not dumb or ignorant, just new to tortoises.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
No offense was meant. In this forum alone I have seen and been told so many different temps. I’m not all crazy hurt. Before she got sick I was told in here about the temps you suggested and six days ago as of now I bumped the temps and she was thriving. The humidifier was doing great and I knew with increased heat I would have to adjust humidity. My problem didn’t start until I woke up early three days ago and the humidifier had gone haywire. I mean there was so much mist it was like a fog in the aquarium. I got her out and wrapped her in a Sherpa lined hand towel. My wife held her to make sure she stayed warm while I got the humidifier out and let the heat dry the substrate out some and the foggy mist clear. She acted like her normal spunky funny self ate great went to her own water on her own. I soaked her great appetite. It’s a new day now so if my days don’t look right I haven’t slept since she got sick and I just got through doing a carrot soak. Anyway later in the afternoon the next day I heard her sneeze. I didn’t freak out but as night came on her personality changed. She was not moving around like normal she wasn’t eating her normal and she started sneezing and rubbing her face with her legs. I got the magnifying glass and looked at her nose So yesterday (Thursday) morning I called her normal vet who is out of town but hey here’s a number for one who treats exotics more numbers out of towns not accepting new patients and why the grrrr doesn’t emergency animal hospitals treat exotics I have been doing the soaks carrot soaks also research of my own nasal flushes and she gets relief with them but no way I was waiting until Monday. Nobody can agree on anything it seems. My wife had said many times in the month I’ve had her Sulcatas are native to Africa they have higher temps. That I will admit is pretty much what you and fifty percent are saying. I do fear vets even before I got Amara. I had a young rescue box turtle I had to get away from stray dogs. Everything was going well once you rescue its yours and I took her to the vet providing how I got her and to establish care. The vet gave her a vitamin A injection and she declined by the time I got home. I called and was told that’s normal if it’s not better by Friday call back. I woke up the next day called the vet and asked how do you tell if a turtle is Dead. I found this forum before I ever joined because the turtle was healthy only to decline and pass away after the vet and injection. I’m sorry if I offended anyone. I’m worried confused exhausted and I have a severe potassium deficiency that even with liquid potassium flares up making me sick. My goal is to get Amara well and keep myself out of the hospital again. Rambling here I’m going to check on Amara. Thank you I do mean that

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
No offense was meant. In this forum alone I have seen and been told so many different temps. I’m not all crazy hurt. Before she got sick I was told in here about the temps you suggested and six days ago as of now I bumped the temps and she was thriving. The humidifier was doing great and I knew with increased heat I would have to adjust humidity. My problem didn’t start until I woke up early three days ago and the humidifier had gone haywire. I mean there was so much mist it was like a fog in the aquarium. I got her out and wrapped her in a Sherpa lined hand towel. My wife held her to make sure she stayed warm while I got the humidifier out and let the heat dry the substrate out some and the foggy mist clear. She acted like her normal spunky funny self ate great went to her own water on her own. I soaked her great appetite. It’s a new day now so if my days don’t look right I haven’t slept since she got sick and I just got through doing a carrot soak. Anyway later in the afternoon the next day I heard her sneeze. I didn’t freak out but as night came on her personality changed. She was not moving around like normal she wasn’t eating her normal and she started sneezing and rubbing her face with her legs. I got the magnifying glass and looked at her nose So yesterday (Thursday) morning I called her normal vet who is out of town but hey here’s a number for one who treats exotics more numbers out of towns not accepting new patients and why the grrrr doesn’t emergency animal hospitals treat exotics I have been doing the soaks carrot soaks also research of my own nasal flushes and she gets relief with them but no way I was waiting until Monday. Nobody can agree on anything it seems. My wife had said many times in the month I’ve had her Sulcatas are native to Africa they have higher temps. That I will admit is pretty much what you and fifty percent are saying. I do fear vets even before I got Amara. I had a young rescue box turtle I had to get away from stray dogs. Everything was going well once you rescue its yours and I took her to the vet providing how I got her and to establish care. The vet gave her a vitamin A injection and she declined by the time I got home. I called and was told that’s normal if it’s not better by Friday call back. I woke up the next day called the vet and asked how do you tell if a turtle is Dead. I found this forum before I ever joined because the turtle was healthy only to decline and pass away after the vet and injection. I’m sorry if I offended anyone. I’m worried confused exhausted and I have a severe potassium deficiency that even with liquid potassium flares up making me sick. My goal is to get Amara well and keep myself out of the hospital again. Rambling here I’m going to check on Amara. Thank you I do mean that

Don’t worry, you haven’t been rude or offensive at all :)

Is it possible that the humidifier had lowered the temperatures? I know that when I spray down/mix water into my enclosure, the cooler water temp usually cools down the enclosure for a while.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
You are good. We are all praying for you and your little one!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's "normal" for a tortoise's leg to hurt after a Baytril injection, and for them to not use the leg for a while.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
Yes it is possible and was the reason for making her sick. The humidifier is programmed to let a mist out every five seconds and I had the temps set perfectly. I’m not sure what time in the early hours it malfunctioned. It had to be between 2:30 am and 8 am. I’m not being organized with my information and I majored in English communications and criminal justice lol. When I woke up the first thing I do is take care of Amara’s needs so I saw the humidifier and got it out. Yes it did drop the temperature. Two thermostats have digital temps and the other seven as well. I keep saying it was the humidifier that made her sick because if it hadn’t malfunctioned it would never have dropped the temps setting the balance off. The manufacturer sent me the free shipping label so I can get a refund but that doesn’t fix the damage. I adjusted the temps by the way and thank you for the information. Doesn’t want to eat even with the carrot soak but I’m not giving up on what I am doing. I’m alone on this until Monday. If I need to take her to the vet everyone is out of town or not taking new patients. So temps have been increased since she’s been sick carrot soaks nasal flushes and Sunday is the second injection.

drew54

Indiana
Also, to help prevent another infection I wouldn't suggest using a humidifier. The majority of them are designed for "cool" misting. You can get a "Warm" humidifier, but they aren't usually in stores. Unless it says it's a Warm humidifier I wouldn't use it.

Just pour a couple glasses of water into the substrate and hand mix it where it's all evenly wet. The water will wick up and provide humidity warm humidity. You can also throw a shower curtain over the top to increase the humidity. If you do that you will need to watch and adjust your temps accordingly to get them right.

Also, the advice you get on here is just that. Most of these people spend every waking moment studying, raising, breeding, and teaching proper tortoise care.

None of the responses are meant to be personal attacks. It's best to be honest and straight to the point. I promise you that no one on this forum will personally attack you. We all want your baby to thrive and be healthy, but we can't help you if we don't flat out say what the issues are even if they seem mean.

We all have had sick torts and a lot of have watched our babies die. So, the last thing anyone on here wants iss to read about another dead baby.

The ruins of info all over the web and this forum is very overwhelming. I was very overwhelmed and was confused time and time again. I read a lot of bad advice on the web also,a but follow the care sheets to a T and your little dude will thrive! My hatchling is proof of that as many others on this forum.

Please ask all the questions you want and we all will help you. Remember, the key to a healthy and happy tort is to spoil your tortoise. :)

Lovechell69

Arkansas
I’m not an expert but I read about the carrot soak in the archives but it said to use carrot baby food one part three parts water. The amount I use is based on a normal soak. I haven’t read anything about doing on a healthy tortoise. Amara got a respiratory infection so based on what I read they seem to help and it is. One thing alone isn’t doing it. I clean her nose (outside) with saline water. I do nasal flushes which she actually enjoys and the antibiotic is working her temps are up until she’s better but thanks to people in here when she is well I know the right temps. When I do the carrot soaks I tilt Amara and her nose drains also. I’ve been making sure her nasal passages stay clean and open. She’s been very active drinking and eating since that last soak. I hate that she has to get another injection Sunday but not doing it would be worse. I hope everyone reads the archives as well as the present. Lol. So many people so many subjects and answers based on actual people with Sulcatas is great. You can google yourself to death watch videos and nobody agrees on the same things. Vets can’t even agree. I’m only in Arkansas to help take care of my mother in law. We’ve been making our search for moving based on exotic vets and warm climates. Lol not just for Amara but I have asthma and I can’t tolerate cold weather nor can my wife. Anyways I wouldn’t dare give advice right now. Though I did a lot of reading before I got Amara I have only had her a month in two more days. I don’t think there will be a day I don’t learn. I am not qualified enough to give a opinion yet

Lovechell69

Arkansas
Drew I scrolled back and read your message again and saw what I missed. Even though I got the humidifier from an exotic animal store I did the worst thing. I assumed it was what she needed. Its not warm so I’m going on the hunt right after this reply. Everywhere I had read said humidifier (not here) but not cool or warm just humidifier. Thank you so much the tumblers fell into place. Question please. I mist warm water not tap several times a day coconut fiber not fine (too powdery). If I have to get this thing shipped any idea about how long because I will priority ship if I have to. I want her to stay well. Seriously thank you

drew54

Indiana
Drew I scrolled back and read your message again and saw what I missed. Even though I got the humidifier from an exotic animal store I did the worst thing. I assumed it was what she needed. Its not warm so I’m going on the hunt right after this reply. Everywhere I had read said humidifier (not here) but not cool or warm just humidifier. Thank you so much the tumblers fell into place. Question please. I mist warm water not tap several times a day coconut fiber not fine (too powdery). If I have to get this thing shipped any idea about how long because I will priority ship if I have to. I want her to stay well. Seriously thank you

I forgot explain a little more on humidifiers. I apologize I've been working literally all day. Reptile humidifiers are all cool mist. They are designed this way so it doesn't burn The reptile. The warm ones are regular house humidifiers that will need to be modified to use a hose. With a Warm humidifier you risk burning your tort. With the combined heat from the lamps and the humidifier mist heats up even more.

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry about a humidifier to be honest. Just mixing the substrate with water evenly or even swampy would be ideal. Then you won't have to worry about temps dropping or your tort burning from the warm mister. I use coco coir about 6" and I keep it swampy. I put orchid bark on top about 1/2". This will allow the enclosure to be cleaner and the coir not tracked everywhere. The swampy coir will wick the water upwards into the bark and creates the humidity. This will hold the water for months. I only spray the walls and the plants. I don't spray the substrate unless it's dry on top, but it's rarely dry.

This will save you money and will save you a lot of issues. High humidity and cool temps will cause an RI everytime. Torts are cold blooded and cannot regulate their internal temps liked we can. The rely on external heat to warm their core for proper digestion. For a tort to properly digest food their core temp needs to be 85f. Which is why the ambient temps need to never drop below ,80f and basking temps need to be 95-100f.

Most people have issues with humidifiers. I've seen many many times where this same thing has happened. I've also seen a lot of instances where their reptiles were burnt by the warm mister.

You're doing a great job. This is the hardest part about owning a reptile of any kind. If you do get another humidifier just watch the floor temps closely. If you get a warm mister then you need to monitor quite often to make sure the temps are safe.

Frequent soaks will help keep your tort hydrated. Try to get the humidity figured out but worry more about the soaks and keeping temps prefect.

Lovechell69

Arkansas
I don’t have problems keeping the temps. I don’t do it daily but I spray the substrate and use a large plastic spoon to mix it so even the bottom is moist leaving a layer of dry on top to mist on a daily basis. I got the humidifier because getting the humidity up has been a issue. I got her substrate on amazon and it’s a combination of fiber and bark. I have her a hide on both ends since it’s a large aquarium. There are no drafts but the outside sides and back I insulated to make sure no drafts could make it in and I have fresh air screens on top. I know she needs the humidity. I did see where a woman got burned reaching across a warm air steam humidifier not the warm air mist. I know I have to do something and I have seen them adapted with the hose. Call me crazy but I’m going to use the warm mis with the hose but not in the tank. If I use a longer hose and mount it to the ceiling at a angle far end it wouldn’t be misting straight into the tank full force taking away the risk of high heat it might increase the humidity. I will test that without her in the aquarium. Another thought is increasing the humidity in the room by placing the humidifier on the counter beside her aquarium. Please let me explain the problem. We sold our house and moved to Arkansas to take care of my wife’s Mom who is 88 and not very good health. She doesn’t want anyone in her home but needs someone close by. We didn’t want to build a house because when the time comes this is not where we want to live. We bought a 36 foot travel trailer and fenced in the yard beside her moms house. They don’t tell you during winter you have to use dehumidifiers because windows and cabinets do like car windows children like to draw on. Your cabinets do the same. The slide outs have cold drafts and no she isn’t near slide outs. That’s another reason I insulated the back and on the sides of her aquarium to make sure no drafts come her way. We are looking into temporarily renting a house Even though when the time comes to move we didn’t want to have to worry about tying up loose ends before we left. I’m sorry it sounds like I’m telling my life story but to understand the problem of increasing humidity you have to know outside here aquarium a dehumidifier is running to try to prevent water running down the windows. I can keep it low forty without a humidifier but that’s not high enough

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I don’t have problems keeping the temps. I don’t do it daily but I spray the substrate and use a large plastic spoon to mix it so even the bottom is moist leaving a layer of dry on top to mist on a daily basis. I got the humidifier because getting the humidity up has been a issue. I got her substrate on amazon and it’s a combination of fiber and bark. I have her a hide on both ends since it’s a large aquarium. There are no drafts but the outside sides and back I insulated to make sure no drafts could make it in and I have fresh air screens on top. I know she needs the humidity. I did see where a woman got burned reaching across a warm air steam humidifier not the warm air mist. I know I have to do something and I have seen them adapted with the hose. Call me crazy but I’m going to use the warm mis with the hose but not in the tank. If I use a longer hose and mount it to the ceiling at a angle far end it wouldn’t be misting straight into the tank full force taking away the risk of high heat it might increase the humidity. I will test that without her in the aquarium. Another thought is increasing the humidity in the room by placing the humidifier on the counter beside her aquarium. Please let me explain the problem. We sold our house and moved to Arkansas to take care of my wife’s Mom who is 88 and not very good health. She doesn’t want anyone in her home but needs someone close by. We didn’t want to build a house because when the time comes this is not where we want to live. We bought a 36 foot travel trailer and fenced in the yard beside her moms house. They don’t tell you during winter you have to use dehumidifiers because windows and cabinets do like car windows children like to draw on. Your cabinets do the same. The slide outs have cold drafts and no she isn’t near slide outs. That’s another reason I insulated the back and on the sides of her aquarium to make sure no drafts come her way. We are looking into temporarily renting a house Even though when the time comes to move we didn’t want to have to worry about tying up loose ends before we left. I’m sorry it sounds like I’m telling my life story but to understand the problem of increasing humidity you have to know outside here aquarium a dehumidifier is running to try to prevent water running down the windows. I can keep it low forty without a humidifier but that’s not high enough

You said you have screens covering the aquarium. You will never get the humidity where it needs to be with screens. All the humidity will go right out the top. To keep humidity up in her enclosure, it has to be sealed. Try covering the top with foil to keep heat and humidity in. That’s what I do and it works.

drew54

Indiana
I hope the humidifier works out. if not throw a shower curtain over it. That essentially turns your tank into a greenhouse.