Is this normal?

BelleIce23

Location (City and/or State)
Massachussets
Hi, my Desert Ornate Box Turtle recently came out of hibernation, and I was wondering if how he was acting is normal? He is sluggish and always wanting to burrow. He refuses to eat anything other than worms. I’ve been soaking him daily for the past week, which he loves. I bring him outdoors for UVB daily (weather/temp permitting). He is in a 20 gallon tank, which I know is very small, but it is only for winter hibernation. He lives out doors in the summer in a 4x4 enclosure. He is very small too. He gets multi vitamins, calcium, and D3 dusted into his worms. How can I get him to start eating normally again? He used to love food and be very energetic but not after hibernation.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, my Desert Ornate Box Turtle recently came out of hibernation, and I was wondering if how he was acting is normal? He is sluggish and always wanting to burrow. He refuses to eat anything other than worms. I’ve been soaking him daily for the past week, which he loves. I bring him outdoors for UVB daily (weather/temp permitting). He is in a 20 gallon tank, which I know is very small, but it is only for winter hibernation. He lives out doors in the summer in a 4x4 enclosure. He is very small too. He gets multi vitamins, calcium, and D3 dusted into his worms. How can I get him to start eating normally again? He used to love food and be very energetic but not after hibernation.
Isn't it still pretty cold where you are? Maybe he's just too cold...

BelleIce23

Massachussets
Isn't it still pretty cold where you are? Maybe he's just too cold...

His indoor basking temps are in the high 90’s, and his cooler side is in the low 80’s. My temp gun broke so I have to use stick on thermometers, but I’m buying a new one. When he goes outdoors it’s only in direct sun so it gets hotter, but it is still a bit cold out there.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
How old?

Fasted turtles will crave meat and water first, but youngsters find the protein especially critical.

I wouldn't limit his portions, but continue trying to add things like chopped up fruit, flowers, greens. Go slowly so he doesn't resist or go off a meal. Tomorrow morning one chopped up strawberry and one torn up dandelion flower, etc.. Make the pieces really small and then mix them with the worms.

Do a warm soak in the morning to get his circulation moving, then feed. If he's burrowing to feel safe or to thermoregulate, that's fine.

BelleIce23

Massachussets
How old?

Fasted turtles will crave meat and water first, but youngsters find the protein especially critical.

I wouldn't limit his portions, but continue trying to add things like chopped up fruit, flowers, greens. Go slowly so he doesn't resist or go off a meal. Tomorrow morning one chopped up strawberry and one torn up dandelion flower, etc.. Make the pieces really small and then mix them with the worms.

Do a warm soak in the morning to get his circulation moving, then feed. If he's burrowing to feel safe or to thermoregulate, that's fine.

Thank you! He is 2 years old. He was a great eater last summer but now he just won’t eat! Tommorow morning I’ll try offering bananas, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, etc. Those are his favorites. I used to chop up greens and mix it with worms, which always worked. I’ll keep you guys updated.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Don't overwhelm him...choose one inch of one fruit to chop and mix in tomorrow. If you can find an edible flower (dandelion, pansy, violet), rip that up and add it to the 'pasta'.

If that goes well, then try a bit more the next day. You don't want him to lock up and stop eating. Let his meals be mostly what he is craving right now (meat). Once he is spending more time awake, you can offer a second snack meal of veggies/fruit in the afternoons.

BelleIce23

Massachussets
Ok, new update. He is refusing to eat any worm that touches the food and is just waking away. He won’t eat the food either. I tried feeding different kinds each day too (banana, cherry tomato, strawberry, all with dandelion over it) I’m really stuck and don’t know what to do now ☹️

BelleIce23

Massachussets
Ok, new update. He is refusing to eat any worm that touches the food and is just waking away. He won’t eat the food either. I tried feeding different kinds each day too (banana, cherry tomato, strawberry, all with dandelion over it) I’m really stuck and don’t know what to do now ☹
Anyone know what to do? He is still getting soaks and has over 85 degree temps