Is this normal..?

Ada89

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire
Hello!

I recently adopted a Russian tortoise (Joe) who was not being kept in very good circumstances. I'm still quite new to tortoises and learning a lot from this forum! I believe he's a young tortoise (although not really sure, this is just what the previous owners said..) and he spends a lot of his time buried, although he does come out to eat and poops normally and sits under his lamp. Is this normal or should he be more active? I know in the wild he would be hibernating this time of year. I'm hoping in the summer (I live in the UK) I can put him in an outside enclosure.

Thank you,
Caroline

Ada89

Yorkshire
As long as he's eating and pooping he's probably ok
Great, thanks, yeah and he seems happy enough when he's eating. I'm so new to tortoises though so I was suddenly worried maybe he's not active enough!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!

I recently adopted a Russian tortoise (Joe) who was not being kept in very good circumstances. I'm still quite new to tortoises and learning a lot from this forum! I believe he's a young tortoise (although not really sure, this is just what the previous owners said..) and he spends a lot of his time buried, although he does come out to eat and poops normally and sits under his lamp. Is this normal or should he be more active? I know in the wild he would be hibernating this time of year. I'm hoping in the summer (I live in the UK) I can put him in an outside enclosure.

Thank you,
Caroline
What are the four temperatures?
What are you using for heating and lighting? UV?
What do you feed him?

SurfHag

CA
Great, thanks, yeah and he seems happy enough when he's eating. I'm so new to tortoises though so I was suddenly worried maybe he's not active enough!
If you have access to snails, slugs, grubs I bet your Russian would love those! Mine sure did!