Is this Normal?

Shayne473

My Russian tortoise Cooper is over 2 years old yet under 3. I've had him for 2 years. I take him out a lot but something that always bothers me is that whenever I take him outside the tank, he goes to the bathroom. I could take him downstairs to meet my family and he poops on the carpet. I lift him up and he goes as well when outside. Is he scared of outside his tank or what? He walks around and "runs" outside he is active but only seems to go when brought out. Like when I took him to the vet the first thing he did in the carry-bag was to poop then scratch it...it was annoying and smelly. Is this normal or is there a way to limit this? Please answer, thanks :)
turtle_rocking.gif
<---- I NEVER want my tortoise to be like that...

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tortoises in nature empty their bladders and defecate when they are picked up and disturbed as a defense against predators.
This is healthy natural behavior in your tortoise.
Researchers try not to handle them unnecessarily during study especially in dry environments because of this critical loss of water stores
which can lead to dehydration.
You say you take him out of his tank "a lot."
You may want to pick him up less often to minimize handling stress.
This may be difficult for you to understand because of your desire to interact with your pet.
But tortoises are not the kind of pet that can tolerate too much handling.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It is normal. You can try soaking first. Usually they will poop in a soak and then not again for a while, but no guarantees.

And your tortoise should not be loose in the house or on the carpet anyway.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
normal they do that when scared. You can always carrying him in a basket or something

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't take him out to introduce him. Don't put him on the floor. Allow people to observe him in his habitat. Carry him in a basket or tub, support him from underneath, and keep him level. Handle him only when you must, and make sure it's for his benefit, not random. You're terrifying him. When he learns that you are the source of all good things- food and outdoors and warmth- he'll stop being afraid. For now you're stressing him and he's letting you know.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Don't take him out to introduce him. Don't put him on the floor. Allow people to observe him in his habitat. Carry him in a basket or tub, support him from underneath, and keep him level. Handle him only when you must, and make sure it's for his benefit, not random. You're terrifying him. When he learns that you are the source of all good things- food and outdoors and warmth- he'll stop being afraid. For now you're stressing him and he's letting you know.

my tortoise learned I was the source of the main thing she loves going outside, the pet store never took her out and keep her in a 10 gallon tank

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all above except, the handling. I handle my tortoises every day putting them outside, inside, and then just because I want too. The more you handle them the less afraid they become. I have never had one poop out of fear because I picked it up. Come from the front of the tortoise. Not from the top with them not seeing you first. Tortoise do get stressed, no question, but I just don't feel or believe they are that delicate. They wouldn't make it as long as they do if they were that delicate. My opinion, and if my tortoises could talk they would tell you they are stress free.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
I agree with all above except, the handling. I handle my tortoises every day putting them outside, inside, and then just because I want too. The more you handle them the less afraid they become. I have never had one poop out of fear because I picked it up. Come from the front of the tortoise. Not from the top with them not seeing you first. Tortoise do get stressed, no question, but I just don't feel or believe they are that delicate. They wouldn't make it as long as they do if they were that delicate. My opinion, and if my tortoises could talk they would tell you they are stress free.

ha every time I pick tory up she just tucks her head in not all the way then when I go the path of going outside she sticks her head out and moves her legs franticly I guess that what she likes most and she's not afraid of me but she is one thing picky trust me