IS THIS OK -BASKING BULB

Mikki

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Fl
I ordered GE 45W Indoor Floodlight. It has the number R20. Is this OK for basking? I would appreciate it if someone would answer this.

Thank you in advance

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
if it is indeed an incadescent bulb, it is certainly OK for a basking bulb. It is a small diameter flood bulb - the bulb only 2-1/2" in diameter. Can be a very good basking bulb. BUt - what we can't tell by your information if this is truly and incandescent. I would certainly think so as at 45 watts, that is way more wattage than a LED would commonly be at that size a bulb.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
if it is indeed an incadescent bulb, it is certainly OK for a basking bulb. It is a small diameter flood bulb - the bulb only 2-1/2" in diameter. Can be a very good basking bulb. BUt - what we can't tell by your information if this is truly and incandescent. I would certainly think so as at 45 watts, that is way more wattage than a LED would commonly be at that size a bulb.
I called GE and gave them the scan number on the package.. The 45 W I ordered is an indoor flood light and it is incandescent. I also have a 60 W that I ordered, which is incandescent but not a flood light, can i use that 60W even if it's not a flood light? I am going to see how strong the 45 W is and if it is not strong even, than i will to the 60W if I am able to even if it's not a flood light.. Can you please let me know.. Thank you so much for responding to me

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I called GE and gave them the scan number on the package.. The 45 W I ordered is an indoor flood light and it is incandescent. I also have a 60 W that I ordered, which is incandescent but not a flood light, can i use that 60W even if it's not a flood light? I am going to see how strong the 45 W is and if it is not strong even, than i will to the 60W if I am able to even if it's not a flood light.. Can you please let me know.. Thank you so much for responding to me
What type of bulb is the 60 watt? You say not a flood. So if it is a PAR30 or any PAR I would not use it. That is a spot bulb and it focuses too much of the light into one smaller spot. About 90% of the energy an incadescent produces is heat, and maybe 10% light. So that is a lot of near-IR focused in quite a small area.

If it is an A bulb - A19, A21, etc that is the old style plain old light bulb. Those make great basking bulbs.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
What type of bulb is the 60 watt? You say not a flood. So if it is a PAR30 or any PAR I would not use it. That is a spot bulb and it focuses too much of the light into one smaller spot. About 90% of the energy an incadescent produces is heat, and maybe 10% light. So that is a lot of near-IR focused in quite a small area.

If it is an A bulb - A19, A21, etc that is the old style plain old light bulb. Those make great basking bulbs.
Yes, I just looked.. The 60 Watt is an A19. Thank you so much. I am so excited I have the correct bulbs. I can use both incandescent bulbs I got for basking. Which one would you say is better.. The 45 Watt Flood bulb or the 60 Watt A19 bulb

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, I just looked.. The 60 Watt is an A19. Thank you so much. I am so excited I have the correct bulbs. I can use both incandescent bulbs I got for basking. Which one would you say is better.. The 45 Watt Flood bulb or the 60 Watt A19 bulb
The Flood bulb will work better for you and your tortoise. They are made to reflect most of the energy downward while the A19 simply scatters it as it is the style for lighting a room and you want the light to scatter everywhere. IN our enclosures, we are better if the light and heat is directed downward. Less wattage will give you a better basking area that way. The A19 will tend to heat the whole enclosure more and not give as warm a basking area at the same height. When I use A19 bulbs, I use them in a good dome which then reflects the light and heat downward as a flood would.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
The Flood bulb will work better for you and your tortoise. They are made to reflect most of the energy downward while the A19 simply scatters it as it is the style for lighting a room and you want the light to scatter everywhere. IN our enclosures, we are better if the light and heat is directed downward. Less wattage will give you a better basking area that way. The A19 will tend to heat the whole enclosure more and not give as warm a basking area at the same height. When I use A19 bulbs, I use them in a good dome which then reflects the light and heat downward as a flood would.
Thank you so much for all your responses. I am using a dome canister so maybe it will work ok for me. I do have a bottom covered Aquarium right now for my little one. I made a lid for it and cut out for the domes so i could make it as close to closed chamber as possible. At night i turn every off and cover the holes up. I'm in Fl and my Vet said since Scooter is in his hide all night not to worry about the ceramic heater. I can't really use it with my set up. I don't want it in the enclosure plus i have a lid on it . Scooter gets A LOT of outside because i have a predator proof above ground enclosure we built. I think since I'm using a dome i could use the 60 watt ok if i have to. This is Scooter. I am getting another enclosure built for inside. The aquarium is temporary & I'm trying to figure out now for another inside enclosure to build. I don't want a big open one. I've really tried hard to get as close as possible to a closed chamber and actually i have the very bottom of the domes covered so when its placed in the cut out holes its completely closed so no heat or humidity can escape. I screwed in 4 metal clips underneath lid around each hole for the domes to sit on and any light or heat goes directly into the enclosure instead of having a screen there.

Attachments

• 20201026_155754.jpg
    20201026_155754.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20201026_155947.jpg
    20201026_155947.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Thank you so much for all your responses. I am using a dome canister so maybe it will work ok for me. I do have a bottom covered Aquarium right now for my little one. I made a lid for it and cut out for the domes so i could make it as close to closed chamber as possible. At night i turn every off and cover the holes up. I'm in Fl and my Vet said since Scooter is in his hide all night not to worry about the ceramic heater. I can't really use it with my set up. I don't want it in the enclosure plus i have a lid on it . Scooter gets A LOT of outside because i have a predator proof above ground enclosure we built. I think since I'm using a dome i could use the 60 watt ok if i have to. This is Scooter. I am getting another enclosure built for inside. The aquarium is temporary & I'm trying to figure out now for another inside enclosure to build. I don't want a big open one. I've really tried hard to get as close as possible to a closed chamber and actually i have the very bottom of the domes covered so when its placed in the cut out holes its completely closed so no heat or humidity can escape. I screwed in 4 metal clips underneath lid around each hole for the domes to sit on and any light or heat goes directly into the enclosure instead of having a screen there.
This is the metal clips I'm referring to

Attachments

• 20201103_214311.jpg
    20201103_214311.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 4