Is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Artemis the Tortoise said:
Thanks, I've decided that I'm keeping the current cage and I'm also making an outdoor enclosure the current one will be for night time and I'm getting a LARGE baby pool to fill with dirt and coconut coir thanks again

Artemis the RT.

The baby pool is for the day time

Artemis the RT.

Make sure the substrate is as deep as your tortoise is long, and that the height from above the substrate to the top of the wall is more than the length of the tortoise. So if you have a 6" long tortoise (SCL) then you need 6"deep, at least, of substrate and another 6", preferably 8" above that before the top of the wall. Russians are excellent escape artists, so you want to be very careful he/she doesn't escape.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
You'll need to predator proof that kiddy pool, as well. Cover the top with hardware cloth and secure it with something that a racoon can't undo, like a padlock.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that a 55 gallon tote is enough... Just that it's better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Steve_McQueen said:
You'll need to predator proof that kiddy pool, as well. Cover the top with hardware cloth and secure it with something that a racoon can't undo, like a padlock.

... and make sure he doesn't over heat in there. Above ground enclosures like that can quickly get too hot in the summer sun.

mommybeegs said:
Not everyone has room for a seven foot bookcase and table. Obviously anyone who knows about torts knows that "bigger is always better" but some people can only go so big.

I will not relax or be less critical when someone is making bad decisions about the welfare of an animal. If someone does not have the room for the appropriate sized enclosure for their given animal, or the money or time to care for it properly, then they should not have the animal. This is not an insult. This is not intended to be mean. No animal should be housed in cramped quarters or receive sub-standard care because the person who decided to buy them does not have enough space, or resources to care for them correctly. I will try to be nice about it and use some tact, but it needs to be said. It is NOT okay to stick an adult russian in a little enclosure because someone doesn't have the space or funds to do it better. If someone cannot care for their animal and provide what that animal needs, then they should give it to someone who can and will.

You may think your pet is fine and dandy in his small enclosure, but if I were there, I bet I'd see it differently, and could point out specific issues to you.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
OP, is it possible for you to put two side by side and cut a hole in both and connect them to double the space. It will be fairly inexpensive and give your tortoise more room. Giving your tortoise an outdoor enclosure for the day does not substitute having a proper size indoor/"night" enclosure. Your tortoise is going to get used to the extra outdoor space and go crazy in his indoor enclosure.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Steve_McQueen said:

... and make sure he doesn't over heat in there. Above ground enclosures like that can quickly get too hot in the summer sun.

mommybeegs said:
Not everyone has room for a seven foot bookcase and table. Obviously anyone who knows about torts knows that "bigger is always better" but some people can only go so big.

I will not relax or be less critical when someone is making bad decisions about the welfare of an animal. If someone does not have the room for the appropriate sized enclosure for their given animal, or the money or time to care for it properly, then they should not have the animal. This is not an insult. This is not intended to be mean. No animal should be housed in cramped quarters or receive sub-standard care because the person who decided to buy them does not have enough space, or resources to care for them correctly. I will try to be nice about it and use some tact, but it needs to be said. It is NOT okay to stick an adult russian in a little enclosure because someone doesn't have the space or funds to do it better. If someone cannot care for their animal and provide what that animal needs, then they should give it to someone who can and will.

You may think your pet is fine and dandy in his small enclosure, but if I were there, I bet I'd see it differently, and could point out specific issues to you.

Wow. I initially got on this site for helpful tips and sharing photos and advice...now I've decided it's probably not for me. It's not like I have him in a ten gallon tank like most people do. But apparently I'm a bad pet owner. You can delete me from the site, I don't think I will ever feel welcome on it. Sad too because everyone else on this site told me my enclosure was big enough since he is out and exercised daily and lives outside during summer months, but apparently no one can do anything right here. There's always something someone is Doing wrong and needs to fix.

Mommybeegs

And I'm sure not matter whose enclosure you approach there will always be something that could be changed, even yours. No one is perfect. I bought my enclosure based on why everyone else on this page told me was enough...I was told at least 4'x2' but not any smaller, bigger is better. So I got what I could for winter and I let him roam for hours daily. I soak him every other day. I feed him a varied diet and avoid what he shouldn't eat. But apparently that's not good enough and I should give him away. Thanks for the encouragement! Now I know why my friend never gets on here anymore.

Mommybeegs

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A couple of years ago I was given a box turtle. I'm no box turtle expert, but I set it up how I thought was best and then posted pics to share with the group and get advice. Several people made nice inane comments and then Miss Maggie came along and rather bluntly told me that box turtles like water and that my water bowl was too small and should be bigger. I didn't take offense. I didn't argue. I didn't quit the forum because someone shared their honest opinion about how I was keeping my animal. I WENT AND GOT A BIGGER WATER BOWL TO PUT IN THERE! Then I posted the pics of the improvements and met with Miss Maggie's and everyone else's approval. Some time went by and even though I loved my little box turtle, I realized that as it grew, I would not be able to provide it with the best environment in my super hot dry climate. I PMd a box turtle expert who lived in a more suitable area and was an excellent keeper with excellent enclosures, and I sent my boxie to her. Paid the shipping and everything, knowing that my animal with have the best possible life with someone else.

Mommybeegs, I hope you reconsider. Nobody called you a "bad pet owner". Nobody labelled you at all. I think that you are here on the forum is an indicator that you are NOT a bad pet owner. And yes, there is always room for improvement in everyone's enclosures, and routines, MINE INCLUDED. If you've got constructive criticism that will help my animals live a better life, I welcome it. I welcome it from anybody.

This forum is about learning, and helping others. It is about improving the lives of our tortoises. Using a larger enclosure would improve the life of your tortoise and that of the OPs, and that is why I, and several others, have recommended it. If this hurts your feelings or feels discouraging to you, that is sad and unfortunate. Everyone's intent is to help tortoises. Sometimes that means things have to be said that might hurt someone's feelings. I always hope that it won't, but sometimes it does. If you want to keep your tortoise in a small enclosure, that's your business. Just don't ask me to condone it, or make nice comments about it. I don't wish to drive you away from the forum. Quite the opposite. But I cannot sit by and watch somebody do something that I know is not good for their animal. Sure the rest of your routine sounds good, but this is an area that I feel very strongly about and there is good reason for that. Think about it. How am I so sure that small enclosures are such a bad thing for a Russian tortoise? It's because I have made the mistake that you are now making. I had all sorts of reasons to justify it too. Didn't make me right. I'm sure lots of people will tell you your enclosure size is fine. I don't agree with them, and me simply stating my opinion in a constructive, non-insulting way should not be enough to drive anyone away from an otherwise great forum. If you don't like me, or what I have to say, just ignore it and do as you wish, but there is no reason to leave the forum over it.

To everyone else, is this what happens when people come from other forums and claim they were "flamed" for their opinion and that people bashed them or were very rude to them? Was I rude here? If I was, please say so. Publicly or in a PM if that suits you better.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
No, Tom, that's nothing at all like a flame. It's not rude, just honest. Sometimes the truth stings.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Artemis, you asked the question "is this ok?"

My answer to that question is, it is not ok for full time living. That is my opinion based on my experience and what I know first hand from having a RT. If you are interested in what kind of adjustments you could make so that "it is ok" there are many here who have given advice to glean from.

A 4x2 rabbit cage may be an improvement from the current tank you use but again IMO "it is not ok" for full time living either.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Tom, I don't think you were being rude, as I had said earlier, we weren't trying to be critical, we were giving constructive advice. I hope Mommybeegs doesn't leave the forum, because I agree that simply joining this forum for advice is the sign of a caring pet owner.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
Well I rehomed my tort to someone better capable with more space. I had him three weeks thinking that because others told me my cage was big enough for winter that he would be fine. But I don't have any room to expand inside my home with my three kids...so better off for him to have a better home. Well just have to wait on a pet until we live in a bigger house. Thanks for the opinions. Hope everyone thinks I made the right choice by taking advice given. He went to a friend with a house hell have his own room with a big enclosure and will be outside during summer.

Mommybeegs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Team Gomberg said:

My answer to that question is, it is not ok for full time living. That is my opinion based on my experience and what I know first hand from having a RT. If you are interested in what kind of adjustments you could make so that "it is ok" there are many here who have given advice to glean from.

A 4x2 rabbit cage may be an improvement from the current tank you use but again IMO "it is not ok" for full time living either.

The rabbit cage postings were made by someone other than the Original Poster (OP). The OP was happy to take our advice. I was trying to figure out how to split off the off topic portion of this thread, but it is all just so intertwined that I left it alone. So basically, we have two threads here...one made by the OP (Artemis the Tortoise) and one made by mommybeegs.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Is this ok?

emysemys said:
Team Gomberg said:

The rabbit cage postings were made by someone other than the Original Poster (OP). The OP was happy to take our advice. I was trying to figure out how to split off the off topic portion of this thread, but it is all just so intertwined that I left it alone. So basically, we have two threads here...one made by the OP (Artemis the Tortoise) and one made by mommybeegs.

My comment about the rabbit cage was for artemis.
To stay on topic, i didn't address mommybeegs. I was mentioning to artemis that a rabbit cage would still not be enough of an improvement, even though one was recommended and given as an example.

Artemis posted that he decided to stick with his current 1.9 x 2.5 tank.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
With all of the " constructive criticism" I decided to expand Artemis's cage. Please, if you're going to argue with other people, do it somewhere else. I dot want trouble,

Artemis' Mommy🌿🌷🐢🌷🌿

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Artemis the Tortoise said:
With all of the " constructive criticism" I decided to expand Artemis's cage. Please, if you're going to argue with other people, do it somewhere else. I dot want trouble,

Artemis' Mommy🌿🌷🐢🌷🌿

Lets see pics:) you know you can't mention things without posting pictures here!

Status
Not open for further replies.