Is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
I actually bought a rabbit cage for my tort. It's 4' x 2' and the base is about 7" deep so it could be filled with substrate. The cage is nice because it keeps my kids out, but still gives him good air circulation. It was $100 from Walmart.com and is called "deep rabbit cage" gives lots of room to roam and dig

Attachments

• image-4106529233.png
    image-4106529233.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
And is he healthy? Does e have pyramiding or shell rot or dehydration or anything plz tell me arty is healthy!ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364166561.935742.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364166578.705368.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364166614.667345.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364166672.140634.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1364166691.572391.jpg

Artemis the RT.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I got a $10 7ft long by 3ft long bookshelves from target. I put it together with no shelves. Then I bought a 7ft foldable table to put it on and she roams all around it having a blast.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No one should take offense at this. Just sharing my personal opinion here. Adult russians have HUGE territories in the wild. Multiple acres. MANY multiple acres. They walk a lot. Now I'm not advocating that everyone must keep them with acreage, but 8 square indoor feet (4x2'), or smaller, is just not enough space for an adult. I don't mean to hurt feelings or make anyone feel bad, but seeing an adult russian in a small enclosure hurts MY feelings. I can't imagine how the tortoise must feel. Cooped up indoors all year long in a small enclosure, SERIOUSLY bothers me. If they just sleep in a 2x4 over night and spend most of their days in a larger outdoor enclosure, then thats fine. I just don't think tortoises belong in tiny little indoor enclosures. Especially not major walkers like russians or sulcatas. Mind you, I'm no nut job animal lover. Many reptiles do just fine in small indoor enclosures. Snakes. Some gecko species. Some skink species, etc. Tortoises just are not one of these. They need SPACE. Lots of room to move. Locomotion is actually an essential part of their digestion, much like a horse. When they are cramped in small enclosures it really messes with their health.

Okay, end soap box rant.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
The bookshelf idea is a great alternative if the cage is too much money. I had to get the cage because I have curious toddlers :) it keeps him safe from their rough hands :) but bookshelves work great from what I have heard, but I have also heard of issues with them rotting because of the humidity. But I have never used one so can't say for sure, but I do know a lot of people who use them :)

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
Keep looking at Walmart, they may have a cheaper one. Just be sure you don't get one with a wire floor. As long as it has the deep plastic floor that's fine and they may have another one same size for cheaper

Maybe check eBay as well :) and amazon

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Look at something like a large 55 gallon rubbermaid tote. They're both cheap, and a major improvement over what you're currently using.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
Steve_McQueen said:
Look at something like a large 55 gallon rubbermaid tote. They're both cheap, and a major improvement over what you're currently using.

This is a great idea also. I had mine in one of these as a temporary home until my cage came and it worked good enough that I almost considered sending the cage back (only reason I didn't is again, because of my kids/in home daycare) these work awesome and are easy to clean :)

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I definetely recommend something bigger for Russian Torts. They are avid walkers and I'd listen to Tom. I have a little story from my own experience... I used to have a male Russian tort in a small enclosure like yours in the beginning and since he needed more room to walk around he was pacing a lot in his enclosure and eventually rubbed areas on his neck raw and I had to bandage his arms so he won't make it worse. As soon as I got him a bigger enclosure his scabs heal almost immediately. Good luck and I wish you and your tort the best!

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
Yes the cage is a good idea also. But I ended up with the bookcase because of the price.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Steve_McQueen said:

I'd use this for a baby Russian to a yearling, after that I think they need a much bigger space. I agree completely with Tom.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, but the rabbit cage isn't big enough either (for an adult russian tortoise). You can buy a couple of large plastic totes, cut out opposing ends on each and put them together. This makes a fairly good-sized habitat. But you really need to think about making an outdoor enclosure for when the weather is good.

mommybeegs

5 Year Member
My tort will be outdoors during summer but I live in Montana where winters can drop -50 below. So we give him the space we can during winter, and contrary to what everyone is saying he seems very happy and never stressed. He eats well, walks a lot but doesn't pace, has the right temps, is soaked every other day along with scrubbed with a toothbrush and his shell is given a nice "wax" with vitashell. We let him out every day to wander the house a bit, supervised. My kids adore him and he seems to enjoy the attention. I have been told by multiple people that 4' x 2' is enough but not to go any smaller. To be quite honest a much as my tort walks around, he never even walks the entire length of his home. He tends to stay on the 2' of the right hand side of the cage except to get to his food. I love my tort, and I feel that I am caring for him properly. Not everyone has room for a seven foot bookcase and table. Obviously anyone who knows about torts knows that "bigger is always better" but some people can only go so big. I'm pretty sure if my tort was unhappy in his house he would be showing signs of stress (not eating, pacing, trying to climb the walls, things he did when he was in his temporary rubbermaid for a few days) but he does none of these things. People need to relax a bit and be more encouraging and less critical to other pet owners.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
mommybeegs said:
My tort will be outdoors during summer but I live in Montana where winters can drop -50 below. So we give him the space we can during winter, and contrary to what everyone is saying he seems very happy and never stressed. He eats well, walks a lot but doesn't pace, has the right temps, is soaked every other day along with scrubbed with a toothbrush and his shell is given a nice "wax" with vitashell. We let him out every day to wander the house a bit, supervised. My kids adore him and he seems to enjoy the attention. I have been told by multiple people that 4' x 2' is enough but not to go any smaller. To be quite honest a much as my tort walks around, he never even walks the entire length of his home. He tends to stay on the 2' of the right hand side of the cage except to get to his food. I love my tort, and I feel that I am caring for him properly. Not everyone has room for a seven foot bookcase and table. Obviously anyone who knows about torts knows that "bigger is always better" but some people can only go so big. I'm pretty sure if my tort was unhappy in his house he would be showing signs of stress (not eating, pacing, trying to climb the walls, things he did when he was in his temporary rubbermaid for a few days) but he does none of these things. People need to relax a bit and be more encouraging and less critical to other pet owners.

I'm sorry if you feel people are being critical, we're not trying to be. We also understand that some people have space restraints. Since your tortoise gets out of his enclosure regularly he is probably getting plenty of exercise. My friend's tortoise would NOT put up with a 4' by 2' enclosure. When he is outside he barely puts up with an enclosure that is a third of an acre.

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, I've decided that I'm keeping the current cage and I'm also making an outdoor enclosure the current one will be for night time and I'm getting a LARGE baby pool to fill with dirt and coconut coir thanks again

Artemis the RT.

The baby pool is for the day time

Artemis the RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.