Status
Not open for further replies.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
??Len?? said:
I know it as cockscomb,and pretty sure it is safe.Len

Thanks! I'm redoing my tortoise enclosure today and wanted to check on some plants that I was planing on putting in there and that was the only one that I couldn't find on the tortoise table website.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Did you grow them yourself? I never use plants straight from the nursery because they use chemicals. Some people do but I am to afraid that it could make them sick.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Missy said:
Did you grow them yourself? I never use plants straight from the nursery because they use chemicals. Some people do but I am to afraid that it could make them sick.

I'm getting them from my mom. She has a ton of plants that come back every year and so she said that I could come get what I want and I know they are safe that way. She originally got them from Lowes but this was last year and they died and grew back from the seeds that the dead plants left over the winter. So now I got 3 celosia, 2 dianthus, a hibiscus plant, and a piece of honeysuckle. Now just got to put them in her enclosure!

Countrymouse

5 Year Member
I'm a newbie on the list with an interest in feeding "home grown" and as natural as possible. Just double check before you plant the Honey suckle. It can be very aggressive and I seem to remember reading that although the blossom is o.k. to feed, the leaves are not recommended.

eudora09 said:
Missy said:

I'm getting them from my mom. She has a ton of plants that come back every year and so she said that I could come get what I want and I know they are safe that way. She originally got them from Lowes but this was last year and they died and grew back from the seeds that the dead plants left over the winter. So now I got 3 celosia, 2 dianthus, a hibiscus plant, and a piece of honeysuckle. Now just got to put them in her enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Countrymouse said:
I'm a newbie on the list with an interest in feeding "home grown" and as natural as possible. Just double check before you plant the Honey suckle. It can be very aggressive and I seem to remember reading that although the blossom is o.k. to feed, the leaves are not recommended.

Hi Countrymouse:

Won't you take a few minutes and make out an introductory post in the "introductions" section?

But in the mean time...Welcome to the forum!!

Some types of honeysuckle are toxic. The leaves of the Japanese honeysuckle have large quantities of saponins that are harmful to birds. So it behooves you to know what type of honeysuckle you're talking about. Here's a good article on it:

http://www.druidry.org/obod/trees/honeysuckle.html

Status
Not open for further replies.