Is this safe for Tortoise

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
It looks like Esperanza. I'm not sure if I've seen it on the list. I have couple bushes growing in my garden not in tortoise section. I don't ever feed any ornamentals, they only free graze on what's planted in their garden, and all those plants have been hand selected for their enclosure as safe to feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It's hard for me to say without a clearer picture of the leaves. It could be tacoma stans (yellow bells, also known as esperanza). It's a safe food for desert tortoises as it's a native plant for them. My Russian is only interested in the flowers, Ours is forming long, green seed pods this time of year, in case that helps with your id.

image.jpeg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Gabriel, those are bushes, not trees. If yours is a tree it maybe something else like Tabebuia (if you are in hot climate) and those I don't think are good for torts

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tacoma stans can get up to twenty feet high but Pearly is right in that they are bushes/shrubs. They can be trained to look pretty close to a tree, however!

Gabriel Luna

Monterrey, Mexico
I see the differences between Esperanza and Tabebuia, and I think the one I have near my house is Esperanza. Is in a neighbour patio.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I see the differences between Esperanza and Tabebuia, and I think the one I have near my house is Esperanza. Is in a neighbour patio.
Gabriel, Tabebuia grows in very warm and humid climate like Florida and central America. I've never seen it in Texas. The flowers are very similar but the leaves are different and tabebuia is a true tree. With trunk and all that.