Is this shell rot?

akbecker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thornton, CO
Let me know if this is shell rot. I kind of thought it was, so I already started the instructions posted at the beginning of this forum. I did the betadine and antibacterial.

Not sure how to fix the enclosure because the substrate under her hide is dry. I don't see any mold or fungus growing anywhere. This started since I put her outside for the season. Other areas aren't really wet. There are plenty of barren areas where morning due wouldn't be forced on her.

This is an adult greek female. Thanks

Attachments

• 20140601_160054.jpg
    20140601_160054.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20140601_160105.jpg
    20140601_160105.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20140601_160100.jpg
    20140601_160100.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been at one time, but now I think its just an old scar or two. If you are worried, the treatment for shell rot is not invasive or harmful to healthy tissue. You can always treat it whether it needs it or not.

akbecker

5 Year Member
Thornton, CO
It might have been at one time, but now I think its just an old scar or two. If you are worried, the treatment for shell rot is not invasive or harmful to healthy tissue. You can always treat it whether it needs it or not.

How do you know if its old? I've had her for awhile and try to do a pretty comprehensive look over during soaking time - so it seems odd I would have just noticed it.

Also, the picture is of the portion of her plastron that is nearest to the tail. I gently pushed on it and it kind of flexed a bit. Whereas when I gently push on the portions near her head, there is none of that flexing at the creases. Is that normal?

If I treat it, and it doesn't change, as in, it doesn't get better and it doesn't get worse, then do I know its old damage? Will the holes get worse or bigger if its active?

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The scarring will never disappear completely. As I understand it, it is easily treated with proprietary anti fungal foot cream used on humans for athletes foot. Use it if you are concerned, it does no harm and will stop it becoming worse if it is active.