Is yawning normal?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Just wondering if it’s normal for tortoises to yawn? How can you tell the difference between a RI and a yawn? Is it a yawn with the absence of other symptoms (runny nose/ cloudy eyes)?

Sorry first time owner and overthinking everything ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just wondering if it’s normal for tortoises to yawn? How can you tell the difference between a RI and a yawn? Is it a yawn with the absence of other symptoms (runny nose/ cloudy eyes)?

Sorry first time owner and overthinking everything ?
Frequency is the answer to your question. One yawn is normal. One yawn every five minutes indicates a problem.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Frequency is the answer to your question. One yawn is normal. One yawn every five minutes indicates a problem.
If it were a RI would it be constant mouth opening every 5 minutes?

I did see it happen more than once in 5 minutes but then nothing after that. I hope I’m just being paranoid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it were a RI would it be constant mouth opening every 5 minutes?

I did see it happen more than once in 5 minutes but then nothing after that. I hope I’m just being paranoid.
When an RI is in the making, you see more yawning than normal. One or two yawns in the morning is normal. If you start seeing the tortoise continually yawning all through the day and many times per hour, then you know you have a problem.