Isopods with stars

uscpsycho

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
My star tortoise enclosure has a ton of springtails, no idea how they get in there, but they are there. Is there any benefit to adding isopods? Or any harm to having isopods with stars?

Specifically, I'm thinking powder blue isopods which seem like they are ideal for high humidity and aren't aggressive. Good addition?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My star tortoise enclosure has a ton of springtails, no idea how they get in there, but they are there. Is there any benefit to adding isopods? Or any harm to having isopods with stars?

Specifically, I'm thinking powder blue isopods which seem like they are ideal for high humidity and aren't aggressive. Good addition?
Springtails move in from the surrounding environment. I always chuckle when people pay money for them...

You don't need the isopods, but they won't hurt anything either. The torts are not likely to mess with them.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
We currently have a booming springtail population that was free😂

I’m currently wearing the folks down to let us add some isopods as I’ve been told they might help bring the springtails down a bit, they aren’t too keen yet🥲