Basking? Red Foot Tortoise.... Also thoughts on keeping more than one together pros and cons?

Bwaterford

Location (City and/or State)
Holland Ohio
So I got my tank and stand and habitat 90% finished. It came together nicely even though this is a temporary set up till contractor finishes a way bigger more elaborate one inside and outside.
Question on basking, everything I've read says add a 90 plus temperature basking spot, yet redfoot keepers say redfoots don't bask...
My temperature in habitat is around 86 degrees with his hide around 80 degrees or so..... Should I add a basking spot? Ideas?
Also the question on tank mate with my redfoot, thoughts, ideas, recommendations if any.
He seems to really love the new habitat, someday he's out alot and other days he's kinda just chills in his front of cave, eats and goes back to bed. He is actually still pretty young under 3 months so he's still probably adjusting.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240820_120701_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240820_120701_Gallery.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240820_120534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240820_120534_Gallery.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240820_120228_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240820_120228_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The habitat looks great except way too small, so hopefully the bigger one comes soon. In the mean time, remove some of the decorations,he needs more roaming room than decor. The decor is really for you not him.
They like plants to hide under and eat.
As for more, not in that enclosure and never in pairs. Also a 3 month quarantine is needed to add new ones to the one you have. That means seperate enclosure. Then when you know the sex if them, you might be able to have a group of them. One male to two or more females.
As for basking,not needed for Redfoot. When reading info, you have to make sure it's for your species. All others need basking RF don't. It can be fine to add it but don't need to. Temps best held around 85.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The best (and easiest) tank mates are insects that the redfoot may or may not eat. Isopods or springtails are really common and also help with cleaning.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So I got my tank and stand and habitat 90% finished. It came together nicely even though this is a temporary set up till contractor finishes a way bigger more elaborate one inside and outside.
Question on basking, everything I've read says add a 90 plus temperature basking spot, yet redfoot keepers say redfoots don't bask...
My temperature in habitat is around 86 degrees with his hide around 80 degrees or so..... Should I add a basking spot? Ideas?
Also the question on tank mate with my redfoot, thoughts, ideas, recommendations if any.
He seems to really love the new habitat, someday he's out alot and other days he's kinda just chills in his front of cave, eats and goes back to bed. He is actually still pretty young under 3 months so he's still probably adjusting.
Thanks in advance.
The enclosure looks really nice! Just make sure he has no troubles getting in and out of the water dish as it could be a risk of flipping - usually terracotta saucers work best (and probably will fit better in overall enclosure look).

You may add a basking spot if you really want to but it's not necessary. Redfoots bask a little in the morning and in the afternoon, but with 86 degrees around the tank it's redundant. The trouble here is that sometimes they stay for too long under basking lamp and this results in pyramiding. The double dome you use (I suppose there are a ceramic heat emitter and ambient LED lamp there) imitates a basking lamp anyway but less desiccating.

As of tank mates - definitely not an another tortoise. Other small creatures (like lizards) would be probably bitten or eaten. A pothos plant can be a good mate or a bunch of isopods (don't get expensive ones, they are potential breakfast).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure looks really nice! Just make sure he has no troubles getting in and out of the water dish as it could be a risk of flipping - usually terracotta saucers work best (and probably will fit better in overall enclosure look).

You may add a basking spot if you really want to but it's not necessary. Redfoots bask a little in the morning and in the afternoon, but with 86 degrees around the tank it's redundant. The trouble here is that sometimes they stay for too long under basking lamp and this results in pyramiding. The double dome you use (I suppose there are a ceramic heat emitter and ambient LED lamp there) imitates a basking lamp anyway but less desiccating.

As of tank mates - definitely not an another tortoise. Other small creatures (like lizards) would be probably bitten or eaten. A pothos plant can be a good mate or a bunch of isopods (don't get expensive ones, they are potential breakfast).
A different species like a lizard should never be housed with a tortoise. Even those from the same area as the tortoise should not be housed together. In the wild yes they may live in the same areas, but we do not have the room the wild provides.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
A different species like a lizard should never be housed with a tortoise. Even those from the same area as the tortoise should not be housed together. In the wild yes they may live in the same areas, but we do not have the room the wild provides.
Agree. I didn't suggest to house another reptile (or anything besides feeder invertebrates), just in case. But should have been more explicit. Thanks!

Bwaterford

Holland Ohio
The habitat looks great except way too small, so hopefully the bigger one comes soon. In the mean time, remove some of the decorations,he needs more roaming room than decor. The decor is really for you not him.
They like plants to hide under and eat.
As for more, not in that enclosure and never in pairs. Also a 3 month quarantine is needed to add new ones to the one you have. That means seperate enclosure. Then when you know the sex if them, you might be able to have a group of them. One male to two or more females.
As for basking,not needed for Redfoot. When reading info, you have to make sure it's for your species. All others need basking RF don't. It can be fine to add it but don't need to. Temps best held around 85.
Habitat is 48 by 24 by 24
Sorry Pic was scaled down to fit.
Habitat is temporary till other one it made.
Decor is temporary as well Im planning on adding live plants ect. When I can find what I want.
Temperature stays around 87 , nights a little cooler.
He gets trips outside to walk explore ect. But honesty he just likes to chill in the front of his cave.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great advice from every poster here before me. I have nothing to add. I hope you are able to really take in and apply what they all said.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Habitat is 48 by 24 by 24
Sorry Pic was scaled down to fit.
Habitat is temporary till other one it made.
Decor is temporary as well Im planning on adding live plants ect. When I can find what I want.
Temperature stays around 87 , nights a little cooler.
He gets trips outside to walk explore ect. But honesty he just likes to chill in the front of his cave.
How did you cover the tank top? I see that lamp domes and UVB tube are placed on top of the tank but it doesn't look like a meshed top. UVB from the lamp doesn't lass through the glass/plastic unless you use special UV-transparent one.

Bwaterford

Holland Ohio
How did you cover the tank top? I see that lamp domes and UVB tube are placed on top of the tank but it doesn't look like a meshed top. UVB from the lamp doesn't lass through the glass/plastic unless you use special UV-transparent one.
Tank top is metal mesh, other areas are covered up except where the lights are. I'm aware UV cannot penetrant glass.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Is humidity always around the 72 mark? It can definitely be a battle with the mesh lid tanks, but hopefully once your new enclosure is built it’ll be much easier🙂

As for tank mates, agree with all the above, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in a pair, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression as they grow from juveniles.

Small groups are fine with the correct male to female ratio, lots of land, and of similar ages/size😊 and always do a long quarantine period with any new ones

Bwaterford

Holland Ohio
Is humidity always around the 72 mark? It can definitely be a battle with the mesh lid tanks, but hopefully once your new enclosure is built it’ll be much easier🙂

As for tank mates, agree with all the above, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in a pair, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression as they grow from juveniles.

Small groups are fine with the correct male to female ratio, lots of land, and of similar ages/size😊 and always do a long quarantine period with any new ones
Thanks for the reply. Humidity stays closer to 80 unless I open the doors, or goes to 70 during overnight hours. And if I turn on the waterfall it's 80 plus to 90s....bit it's not on for extended periods of time.