It’s a shell question….

zolasmum

5 Year Member
it is great that you are preparing to look after this little chap - he/she desperately needs your help.
Has he a name yet?
And are you quite sure he is a hermann ? Our boy's shell didn't look like that when he was young.
Anyway, welcome, and thanks for what you are doing.
Angie (from Devon)

Sassafras

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I had a young hermanns that had this exact same type of fungus on its young shell which developed after being bedded on damp aspen bedding. I used Grapefruit Seed Extract on it and it cleared up vey quickly. Known as GSE and I used the Nutribiotic brand. I put a couple drops of it in a couple thimble full sized cup of water and with my finger rubbed it all over his shell, top and bottom.

Perky01

Cornwall
I had a young hermanns that had this exact same type of fungus on its young shell which developed after being bedded on damp aspen bedding. I used Grapefruit Seed Extract on it and it cleared up vey quickly. Known as GSE and I used the Nutribiotic brand. I put a couple drops of it in a couple thimble full sized cup of water and with my finger rubbed it all over his shell, top and bottom.
Really, thats so good to know, Iv just ordered a bottle of GSE, so will keep you updated on the progress. Thank you

Sassafras

Connecticut
You’re welcome. I did that twice a day, morning and evening and it was gone the next day. GSE is great stuff, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti parasitic, antiviral too. I have used it on many animals, birds, and people.
The antifungal for athletes foot is geared towards the tinnea fungus, like ringworm, it works good on that too.
The tiny little pin point yellow dots on the shell, I dont know what it is, but GSE knocked it out for me.

Perky01

Cornwall
it is great that you are preparing to look after this little chap - he/she desperately needs your help.
Has he a name yet?
And are you quite sure he is a hermann ? Our boy's shell didn't look like that when he was young.
Angie (from Devon)
Thanks Angie. I just want the best for the him, he’s so small. My son named him Perky, not sure why but Perky it is.
If I’m honest I’m not sure what breed he is. I’m hoping once he’s a little bigger and his shell is clearer, it will be more obvious to the untrained eye 🤔

Ah your from Devon, so close. You have got to love the West Country.

Loretta

Has he a name yet?
Angie (from Devon)

Sassafras

Connecticut
Perky is an adorable name for a tortoise. When my hermans woke up one day with the dusting of tiny yellow dots all over his top shell, (not on the bottom though) I immediately went to the GSE and used that, because it did look like a fungus or some type of mold attack. I only had to apply it a couple times before it was gone. The stuff is very potent, but not toxic. One bottle will last forever since only drops are needed.
Yours looks like it has a more advanced case, where the fungus is actually tunneling into and through the shells surface. I would do it a few times a day in that case.
Im not sure how many applications will be needed before its totally gone, but keep at it. I even rubbed his skin with the gse dilute water solution, to remove it from and protect his skin, incase it was lurking there, too.
It should always be diluted before applying to any skin areas. The only time it should be applied full strength to the skin, is when you can use it to remove plantars warts on the bottom of your feet. It kills them to the root. Keep applying and it will turn black and falls out of your foot. An option to try before surgery or burning them out.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This forum has wonderful information that will help you with your tort. Follow it and you will have a happy tort.

Welcome, and the best to you in rescuing this tort.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks Angie. I just want the best for the him, he’s so small. My son named him Perky, not sure why but Perky it is.
If I’m honest I’m not sure what breed he is. I’m hoping once he’s a little bigger and his shell is clearer, it will be more obvious to the untrained eye 🤔

Ah your from Devon, so close. You have got to love the West Country.

Loretta
Thought you would like see our Hermanns,Zola, with two of his younger selves - added by my husband - 2 and 3 years old - and Zola is nearly 22 - you will probably recognise the background. But, as you can see, the shell pattern on the babies is very different from Perky's one.
Angiegrowing-up_sm.jpg

Perky01

Cornwall
Hey! It’s been about a fortnight since the last message here, and I wanted to ask how both you, and Perky are getting on! :)
Hey!
We are great thanks! Perky is getting bigger and stronger by the day. He’s put on 2g in weight and his shell is clearing too. His little character is starting to shine through and he’s just a joy to sit and watch. He’s definitely a big part of our lives now. 😁

Attachments

• 0BD144A5-A3B1-40FC-A9B8-04C597F1FAD1.jpeg
    0BD144A5-A3B1-40FC-A9B8-04C597F1FAD1.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6

efs123

Madrid
I don’t have any opinions on anything other than the ‘lavender essential oil’ part of this product. Essential oils can be quite overwhelming, applying this to a tortoise which has a keen sense of smell could be very uncomfortable for them. I don’t know whether this product is suitable for use on tortoise’s other than this so I won’t add anything else other than I’ve never seen a Hermann’s with shell markings like this? Then again, I haven’t seen many hatchling Hermanns so maybe I just haven’t looked around a lot lol.
Hey! If you take a look at this encyclopedia it's a great resource for everything you need to know about essential oils. I hope this might help! https://florasquare.co/blog/

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Hey!
We are great thanks! Perky is getting bigger and stronger by the day. He’s put on 2g in weight and his shell is clearing too. His little character is starting to shine through and he’s just a joy to sit and watch. He’s definitely a big part of our lives now. 😁
Fantastic!
You can definitely see an improvement in the shell, obviously getting the care he deserves whilst in your home. Would love to watch him grow, I’m still pretty interested in what species of tortoise he is. Handsome little lad, that’s for sure <3