It's Time to Stop Pyramiding Forever

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
After seeing @Markw84 give yet another talk at TTPG about how to raise smooth, healthy tortoises, and after myself having successfully raised super-smooth tortoises for the last few years, I'm 100% confident that we need to, as a tortoise community, spread the word across the planet that we have uncovered the secret to growing a smooth shelled tortoise. I go on a bit of a rant in this video, but I would appreciate your constructive criticism. The primary intent of this piece is to convey to the novice that tortoise experts have figured out why pyramiding happens, thanks be to all of you here that have developed your techniques and helped spread the word on TFO. Thank you!

It's no longer acceptable to see any tortoise that has severe pyramiding!

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Ive kept my cherry head in pretty much a swamp the past year humidity wise and it's super smooth. I set up my enclosure for it based on Tom's Sulcata care guide ( yeah I know different ecology) and just brought the temps down to suit its needs better and it's absolutely thrived. Humidity humidity humidity!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like it! but I have two concerns - I've personally seen accidents causing drowning using that type waterer with small/baby tortoises. The other thing is the moss. Some tortoises eat it and it causes impaction, so I feel it's best to not use it.