I've got Good news & Bad ... Meet Koopa

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
This morning there was a person seeking a "Tortoise Vet" in a near by town, on Facebook. My wife asked if they could give us a call and almost instantly the phone began to ring ...Technology is Scary. It took 10 seconds to figure out it wasn't a vet that was needed but a complete change of care. 2 sulcata torts kept with no heat, together, irregular diet, visible aggression, "ones not doing so well." We agreed to meet and take the tort and give it the best we have, and hopefully save her. After getting back home and washing her off we set her in a clear tub with water to slowly warm up and soak, within 20 minutes she passed. Contact and offer them the option to bury her, they seemed very attached. Drove back to meet and return the body of Wilma. As soon as I handed him the box he said "I have another one for you" ... "if you want him." I said of course and took the tort from the wife. He explained he did not want "the same thing to happen" and understood he was in way over his head and didn't have the time. So as one tort life was lost today, Another torts life is truly going to begin......
Meet Koopa
............ picture issue with cell phone...1 secondIMG_0193.jpegIMG_0183.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
1 more …..IMG_0190.jpegso Koopa is her name, its a girl. I included this pic because my thoughts are..... keep an eye on this 2 places for further chipping, infection or some other thing that doesn't look right? what do you all think?
These 2 were clutch-mates at least 10 years ago from the in laws doctor that sold reptiles on the side. So dad buys them both from his Dr., at some point can not take care of them so the son in law steps in.
We are worried as well about the clear mal-nourishment that has taken place, she weighs alot less than she should.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
After she tasted the Mazuri pellets (I assume for the first time) she licked and licked and licked her lips... must of tasted good. (First pic)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G has rescued and rehabbed many.
I would bet the chipped areas are of little to no concern. Likely a constant rubbing on something. Either trying to get in and out of a hide box or something similar.
Wouldn't hurt though to keep an eye on them.
Glad she's enjoying the food.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is lucky she found you guys. You know exactly what to do, but first... total quarantine.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So everyday at least once we get this ....

IMG_0248.jpeg
What is it well ..... The majority of it is Dead Leaves but there is some Timothy Hay, which is what he fed to her regularly. Every bowel movement has "Trash" in it as well .. Candy wrappers, Twine from the bail, Plastic, Some fake plant leaves and Acorns. The first thing my wife said was "That's probably what killed her sister" when we saw acorns. This morning when she had her bowel movement the leaves and junk in it smelled "rotten." My fear is that she has had this material in her gut, with no supplemental heat and it has started to rot. My goal has been (1) Keep her body temp warm - Nights no lower than 85 degrees, Days above 90 degrees. (2) Get as much water into her system as possible - long warm soaks. (3) Get her to eat as much food as possible everyday - to push out or flush her system.
I know she has suffered mal-nutrition so I will focus on making every meal as nutrient rich as possible. Everyday I try and get her to eat at least 3 different foods as well as some natural grazing in the yard. I am really curious as to what you all think about this? I also feel it is VITAL for her to do alot of walking everyday to help get the "rot" out of her. Even if I have to push her to walk I do, everyday she gets to walk for 2 hours+ in the yard. Unfenced, unobstructed walking. She has 10 acres to decide her direction, to decide for herself where she would like to walk. Man I can't wait for summer !

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

View attachment 366396
What is it well ..... The majority of it is Dead Leaves but there is some Timothy Hay, which is what he fed to her regularly. Every bowel movement has "Trash" in it as well .. Candy wrappers, Twine from the bail, Plastic, Some fake plant leaves and Acorns. The first thing my wife said was "That's probably what killed her sister" when we saw acorns. This morning when she had her bowel movement the leaves and junk in it smelled "rotten." My fear is that she has had this material in her gut, with no supplemental heat and it has started to rot. My goal has been (1) Keep her body temp warm - Nights no lower than 85 degrees, Days above 90 degrees. (2) Get as much water into her system as possible - long warm soaks. (3) Get her to eat as much food as possible everyday - to push out or flush her system.
I know she has suffered mal-nutrition so I will focus on making every meal as nutrient rich as possible. Everyday I try and get her to eat at least 3 different foods as well as some natural grazing in the yard. I am really curious as to what you all think about this? I also feel it is VITAL for her to do alot of walking everyday to help get the "rot" out of her. Even if I have to push her to walk I do, everyday she gets to walk for 2 hours+ in the yard. Unfenced, unobstructed walking. She has 10 acres to decide her direction, to decide for herself where she would like to walk. Man I can't wait for summer !
You're a good person!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 366396
Soak, soak, soak!!! In fact, put her in YOUR bath tub with warm water up to the middle of her sides, and leave her there for an hour or more. Scrambling around, trying to get out will cause her to EMPTY her bowels. You can help her get rid of it all at once this way. Put a space heater in the bathroom and close the door. The water shouldn't get too cold if theroom stays warm. But check on her often

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So soak, walk, rest…..soak, walk, eat, rest… soak, eat, walk, rest…… repeat the next dayIMG_0290.jpeg

11 times passing rotten leaves and trash till feces resembling normal poop. Still passing leaves just not the majority of the poop. I am including pics so you all may help me in sexing. I Don’t want to get this wrong

IMG_0274.jpegIMG_0279.jpegIMG_0276.jpeg
Yes thats a poopy tail, took pictures before the wash off from pooping all over the indoor enclosure. I was thinking female due to no concave plastron but the anal scutes and tail look to be male so I'm lost.
Yesterday I squated down in her outdoor pen and she walked right up to me ... it was fantastic. She has been so skittish up until that moment then ...acceptance.

zovick

10 Year Member!
So soak, walk, rest…..soak, walk, eat, rest… soak, eat, walk, rest…… repeat the next dayView attachment 366653

11 times passing rotten leaves and trash till feces resembling normal poop. Still passing leaves just not the majority of the poop. I am including pics so you all may help me in sexing. I Don’t want to get this wrong

View attachment 366656View attachment 366654View attachment 366655
Yes thats a poopy tail, took pictures before the wash off from pooping all over the indoor enclosure. I was thinking female due to no concave plastron but the anal scutes and tail look to be male so I'm lost.
Yesterday I squated down in her outdoor pen and she walked right up to me ... it was fantastic. She has been so skittish up until that moment then ...acceptance.
The supracaudal scute behind the tail curling inward is a male characteristic. This could be a male with somewhat arrested development due to it being kept with the one which died for 10 years.

How big are the gular scutes? I can't see them too well in the pix.

zovick

10 Year Member!

View attachment 366396
It might be a good idea to get a bird probiotic powder or gel for birds and reptiles such as Bene-Bac and put some of that on this tortoise's food about once a week or so to help the gut flora get back to normal. I used Bene-Bac monthly on all of my tortoises and it is a good thing to do.

It appears that Bene-Bac may not be making the bird and reptile products any longer. All I can find are the mammal ones. Here is a link to another brand of powder:

Good luck with both this individual and all your tortoises.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It might be a good idea to get a bird probiotic powder or gel for birds and reptiles such as Bene-Bac and put some of that on this tortoise's food about once a week or so to help the gut flora get back to normal. I used Bene-Bac monthly on all of my tortoises and it is a good thing to do.

It appears that Bene-Bac may not be making the bird and reptile products any longer. All I can find are the mammal ones. Here is a link to another brand of powder:

Good luck with both this individual and all your tortoises.
There's one called Nutribac too...?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I think that tortoise might be a "repressed" male due to its previous situation. Now that you have it, the male characteristics may start to become more evident.

But still, I could be wrong. Only time will tell for sure.
I think you are correct ... Even though HE is 10 years old, it was 10 years of hell. He actually only lived 3 or 4 years. Meaning he missed lots of living sitting in the cold. Koopa become Doc. If HE is a male we will get rid of that name, new life new name no bad memories.