Jacques' aquarium makeover #1

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I was NOT happy with Jacques' basking spot: the little floating log was not big enough and he couldn't get completely out of the water. So with GREAT assistance from my wonderful, strong, handsome hubby (emphasis on handsome!!! :):):) we made a basking dock out of PVC pipe, fiberglass window screen and electrical ties.
I think it is ugly as all get-out, but I think it'll be a lot more functional, and that's what counts most. You can't see it in this photo, but the ramp onto the dock is at the very front of the tank. I moved the light more to the back, so he has a range of temperatures to choose from.
We only just finished it literally minutes ago, so Jacques is still hiding under his log wondering what the heck we're doing. As soon as I catch him basking on it, I'll upload a photo!!! FINGERS CROSSED that this works!!! :p

IMG_8431.JPG IMG_8432.JPG

Prairie Mom

I was NOT happy with Jacques' basking spot: the little floating log was not big enough and he couldn't get completely out of the water. So with GREAT assistance from my wonderful, strong, handsome hubby (emphasis on handsome!!! :):):) we made a basking dock out of PVC pipe, fiberglass window screen and electrical ties.
I think it is ugly as all get-out, but I think it'll be a lot more functional, and that's what counts most. You can't see it in this photo, but the ramp onto the dock is at the very front of the tank. I moved the light more to the back, so he has a range of temperatures to choose from.
We only just finished it literally minutes ago, so Jacques is still hiding under his log wondering what the heck we're doing. As soon as I catch him basking on it, I'll upload a photo!!! FINGERS CROSSED that this works!!! :p

View attachment 158699 View attachment 158701
Fantastic!!! I love all the different materials you used to make multiple levels! Super impressive!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Fantastic!!! I love all the different materials you used to make multiple levels! Super impressive!
Thank you!!! :)
I got the whole idea from a guy on FaceBook. He made a HUGE acrylic tank for his mud turtle family: it's 8 ft long, 3 ft wide and 1 foot deep!
His username on FaceBoook is BauriBob- you might want to have a look!!! :)

SteveW

Nice. I spent days building a rock shelf for my red cheeked mud, which he completely ignored for 6 months. Now all of a sudden, he basks. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel better. Also, I saw another post of yours where folks recommended ghost shrimp as a clean up crew. Mine ended up a quick meal. Mosquito fish seems to be working though, and they are fast enough to (mostly) survive.

Good luck with your mud.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Nice. I spent days building a rock shelf for my red cheeked mud, which he completely ignored for 6 months. Now all of a sudden, he basks. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel better. Also, I saw another post of yours where folks recommended ghost shrimp as a clean up crew. Mine ended up a quick meal. Mosquito fish seems to be working though, and they are fast enough to (mostly) survive.

Good luck with your mud.

Thanks!
Where do you get mosquito fish? :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Very inventive, Bea.:)
Let's hope the little fellow gives it some use after all the effort and imagination.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It looks great, the tank and the basking platform. Makes me miss having an aquatic turtle tank! ......hmmm...Maybe I should have 1 again. ;)

I kept lots of ghost shrimp in with my turtles for 2 reasons. 1-clean up crew and 2-fresh snack!
I also collected the unwanted snails from Petsmart's fish tanks. The tiny ones in the tropical section, the workers hate those little guys but the turtles loved them.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It looks great, the tank and the basking platform. Makes me miss having an aquatic turtle tank! ......hmmm...Maybe I should have 1 again. ;)

I kept lots of ghost shrimp in with my turtles for 2 reasons. 1-clean up crew and 2-fresh snack!
I also collected the unwanted snails from Petsmart's fish tanks. The tiny ones in the tropical section, the workers hate those little guys but the turtles loved them.
COOL!!! I'll look into the snail situation! :) :) :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

I'd love to give Jacques some snails, but am afraid some might go unseen and proliferate.

The snails never successfully hid from the turtles?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Even if some of the snails hide, they can't over populate the tank. The turtle will keep their numbers in check, afterall, they can't all hide!
I would have loved it if the snails had a steady population. But they get eaten before that happens ;)