Jade Plant and christmas cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have read here that christmas cactus is good to feed, but I have seen it advised a lot for sulcatas and leopards. Is it good for russian tortoises too?
And is it good to use as if it is a supplement? How often should it be fed? And I know jade plants are safe, I use one in the enclosure, but would a russian willingly eat it if I put it in the food?

I'll probably be updating this thread frequently because I am taking a green house course, and they have tons of plants, and I don't know them all.

One last plant, what about "hens and chicks?" Is that good?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
They're all fine! I actually have kept Christmas cactus and jade in my Herman's enclosure and he has shown no interest.

Just make sure if you get these plants from a store to change the dirt to something organic and wait at least 2 months (preferably longer) to make sure there are no chemicals. But Christmas cacti and jade plants are so easy to start as cuttings, see if you have a friend who has one already!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Yvonne G said:
It's all good!

Thanks! Do you happen to know if christmas cactus has a lot of nutrition like opuntia pads? I've a lot about those being good to supplement weekly with, and was wondering if christmas cactus was high in nutrients too.

Status
Not open for further replies.