Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is it at all possible that you might have put his jaw out of alignment when you were holding his head to trim off that piece of scale?

Alireza

5 Year Member
the vet told me that he will get better.but I dont know why I dont beleive him.god!I wish there was a tortoise expert in Iran...
Yvonne,I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

can any of you give me a herpetologist emai?

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Yvonne may be right, im no expert but you dont realise how fragile a tortoise face/neck is and how strong your fingers are xx

Alireza

5 Year Member
I cut that scale off with scissors...that's why I think that might be impossible

here is a picture of his lower jaw that I've attached.you can see that it is jagged.

Attachments

• Image188.jpg
    Image188.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 32

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Merrit321 said:
I've seen some people buy medicine syringes (The kind without needles) and load em up with baby food and slowly squirt it into the tort's mouth.

Or you can liquify their natural diet in a blender.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Have you seen the inside of his mouth? Maybe there is something in there that is sore like a Canker sore or a cheesy substance caking his pallet (herpes). Something distasteful is preventing him from making an full effort to clamp the leaves with the upper mandible.

Soak him to keep him hydrated and keep him warm in the meantime.

Has a vet visit been scheduled yet?

He's probably going to get a booster shot in the rear and a dozen mini pipets to go. @$80 (is what I spent on a Snapper hatchling).

Alireza

5 Year Member
Yes,I took a look at his mouth,there was no sore.and then I soak him.nothing changed.
he can eat.I cut his food into small pieces and then put them into his mouth.he eat them without any problem.
the problem is with his lower beak.wich is jagged.as soon as something like food toch that part,he feel pain.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, if that's the case, then you just have to wait for it to harden off. Its like when you cut a fingernail too close and expose the quick. After a few days it gets less tender.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am glad to hear that Jared is recovering. It was pretty distressing to watch him try and fail to eat. Thank goodness he will not starve to death!:rolleyes:

I am sure you are more relieved than any of us! Now he can go back to chasing your toe.;)

Alireza

5 Year Member
Thank you Stephanie and Yvonne!! I hope he will get better soon!! I will tell you any thing about him that I noticed.

Alireza

5 Year Member
I keep feeding him with a syring.it's easier.but he turn some of it out through his nostrils.but his jaw is getting stronger,thank god!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Alireza said:
I keep feeding him with a syring.it's easier.but he turn some of it out through his nostrils.but his jaw is getting stronger,thank god!

We've all had milk come out our noses. Maybe try squeezing less at a time.

I bet he can put 2+2 together now and recognize that you come around when its feeding time?

When I had Snappers on the kitchen island they would follow me around and watch to see if they were getting more minnows or Turtle pellets.

Alireza

5 Year Member
yes,he can understand that.and when he is hungry,he chase our foots!

Status
Not open for further replies.