JEFF (N2TORTS) take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
LOL..... I think that’s Jay's outfit ... I could be wrong. Nevertheless the ad is wrong about two things ... it's not leucistic ( wrong term they are using ) and it's sure not the only gold hypo out there hypo. :D

Wonder if they have ever seen a “ white” redfoot? ;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Yeah, I saw that. What N2TORTS said about the animal, label, and morph.

Just for clarity, it is Marc's outfit. Jay would never charge that much or label it that way.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Does it matter what other people are charging for their animals? Or naming them for that matter? I see mention of ghost this, white that. A Hypo Redfoot is a Hypo Redfoot. However, the animal that Marc has may or may not be the same mutation that the Joe Terry animals are. I despise all these stupid labels being put on these animals, but in the end they are not my projects so whoever owns them can name and ask whatever they want for them.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Yes that guy who owns that site is named Mark. I know for sure because i got my RF from them in March. Nice folks, but we all know where im getting my next torts from ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ya mean like this ?

Neither of them have this gene line ….

this is more along those lines ....

dwright27

5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, what does a hypo generally cost, other than $9k?
Obviously, being in Canada, it would cost WAY more for me to get one some day, if there even are any here. Until this thread and the "herd" thread I didn't even know these existed.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Well they arnt common so really there is no price, I always say its what the dell ask for and what the buy agrees to pay is the price on any unique tortoise. I wouldn't pay more then 1000 for any of these hypos cuz in the future they will just get more common. Just me. Even 1000 might be too much a lot of other species on my wish list before any hypo.

Ivory sulcatas when they first produced where more expensive then today's prices I noticed, even tho they are still pretty rare to find.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
EricIvins said:
Does it matter what other people are charging for their animals? Or naming them for that matter? I see mention of ghost this, white that. A Hypo Redfoot is a Hypo Redfoot. However, the animal that Marc has may or may not be the same mutation that the Joe Terry animals are. I despise all these stupid labels being put on these animals, but in the end they are not my projects so whoever owns them can name and ask whatever they want for them.

I think people can charge however much they can get for what they have.

Naming does matter, though. Leucistic is has a specific meaning. "Golden" is fine as a marketing thing. Hypo is fine, as its specific meaning matches the animal in question regardless of whether it occurs at the same locus or a different one.

My only issue with its label is the leucism claim.

My only issue with his price is that it is that I would not pay that much for a hypo as a potential buyer. I have no problem with him listing or selling it for that much or more, though, and it would be better to me if he actually could/does end up selling it at that price point.

Millerlite said:
Well they arnt common so really there is no price, I always say its what the dell ask for and what the buy agrees to pay is the price on any unique tortoise. I wouldn't pay more then 1000 for any of these hypos cuz in the future they will just get more common. Just me. Even 1000 might be too much a lot of other species on my wish list before any hypo.

Ivory sulcatas when they first produced where more expensive then today's prices I noticed, even tho they are still pretty rare to find.

There is a supply and there is a range of prices. I could buy more of them today from at least three separate sources comprising multiple lines, but I have my own young hypo group already. Pricing needs to be selected carefully to not screw up the ability to gain maximum profit per unit in addition to making sure all units the seller wants to sell get sold *and* making sure you do not **** off customers for no good reason.

Excluding this non-leucistic called leucistic hypomelanistic animal (which is plenty nice, mind you), people I know are typically moving them at $1500-$2500. There are some examples above and below, but that usually involves financially distressed sellers on the lower end and novice buyers on the upper end. This is for babies, mind you. Larger juveniles, subadults, and visually sexed adults can obviously have scaled up prices due to size and reproductive potential.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I work retail and i know if somebody wants something really bad, they will pay to get it. Like our $200 koi we only buy for 50 bucks. I cant say yay or nay either way. I guess its better to be over priced then to be under priced and ruin it for everyone else. just throwing a random thought out there. :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
EricIvins said:

I think people can charge however much they can get for what they have.

Naming does matter, though. Leucistic is has a specific meaning. "Golden" is fine as a marketing thing. Hypo is fine, as its specific meaning matches the animal in question regardless of whether it occurs at the same locus or a different one.

My only issue with its label is the leucism claim.

My only issue with his price is that it is that I would not pay that much for a hypo as a potential buyer. I have no problem with him listing or selling it for that much or more, though, and it would be better to me if he actually could/does end up selling it at that price point.

Millerlite said:

There is a supply and there is a range of prices. I could buy more of them today from at least three separate sources comprising multiple lines, but I have my own young hypo group already. Pricing needs to be selected carefully to not screw up the ability to gain maximum profit per unit in addition to making sure all units the seller wants to sell get sold *and* making sure you do not **** off customers for no good reason.

Excluding this non-leucistic called leucistic hypomelanistic animal (which is plenty nice, mind you), people I know are typically moving them at $1500-$2500. There are some examples above and below, but that usually involves financially distressed sellers on the lower end and novice buyers on the upper end. This is for babies, mind you. Larger juveniles, subadults, and visually sexed adults can obviously have scaled up prices due to size and reproductive potential.

Once again ... Mr. "B" ... your insight and writing skills is par none!
I try my best to hold back negative comments from inexperienced keepers like you mentioned. I think sometimes zealous comments are made with folks not seeing the whole scope of the picture and how hard , time consuming and focused one has to be in keeping the up most perfect conditions , for producing any type of "exotic"
( the word that comes to my mind). For myself they do tend to be more difficult to hatch out than other species of the same nature . For that reason along with owning something different - sets us apart- that’s human instinct .. We are all guilty of it in some form or another.
Oh so true with adults of these unusual natures not only for their age and survival up to this point to reach maturity , but like mentioned the prospect of producing more babies. Hence this is why you see exclusive pricing on the “ not so norm animals” .

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I jacked up the wording a bit in a few spots, but thanks, JD.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Looks like I started a debate...
Either way maybe I should start buying more hypos from Jeff and sell them online for top dollar to people who don't know any better. :p

EricIvins

5 Year Member
That leucistic word has been thrown around many Chelonian morphs, and so far only a select few are even close. Do we call caramel pink Red Ears leucistic? Nope. Either way, that word will always be around the Chelonian world under false pretense, like it or not...

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: JEFF (N2TORTS) take a look

immayo said:
Either way maybe I should start buying more hypos from Jeff and sell them online for top dollar to people who don't know any better. :p

I agree, let's do it together, we could be become awesome resellers, 1 billion percent markup, lol.... Except jeffs torts are so awesome I would wind up wanting to keep them all and instead of making a profit we would go broke, lmao

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
theturtlesource .com is pretty highly priced regardless, but many of the "companies" are, vs breeders that offer a name and face to go with their torts, if that makes any sense. Not interested in debating cause I don't breed or even keep yet myself, I'd rather do my research and admire others until I may be ready to keep, than throw myself into something quickly and make a mess of it, just imho. Personally, I'd sooner purchase from Jeff at the cove, than I would a more 'company' type site. Mainly because he's a human being, but also because his tort's are insanely gorgeous!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
TommyZ said:
immayo said:

I agree, let's do it together, we could be become awesome resellers, 1 billion percent markup, lol.... Except jeffs torts are so awesome I would wind up wanting to keep them all and instead of making a profit we would go broke, lmao

True that... oh well back to the drawing board. Guess I'll just have to wait 100years for mine to start reproducing.

Status
Not open for further replies.