Just adopted Sulcata - room for others

Lego man

5 Year Member
I just adopted my 1st Sulcata from a person who could no longer care for him. He is about 7 years old. He is doing great. I have 2.5 acres in Eastern NC so I have plenty of room for more. I would also take Galapagos & Aldabras of any size. Please let me know if you have any or know someone who has any of these tortoises that need a home.

M

Maggie Cummings

I just adopted my 1st Sulcata from a person who could no longer care for him. He is about 7 years old. He is doing great. I have 2.5 acres in Eastern NC so I have plenty of room for more. I would also take Galapagos & Aldabras of any size. Please let me know if you have any or know someone who has any of these tortoises that need a home.

How do you have this new tortoise set up out there in North Carolina? You do have room, but do you know how to care for them. Ya don't just toss him in a pasture....(really mean no disprespect) I just know that they need a certain level of care...
I seriously doubt you're going to get an Aldabran or a Galop for free....

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Lego man

5 Year Member
I did a lot if research before I adopted the Sulcata. I'm not saying I'm an expert now but think I have learned enough to take good care of him.
He was living at an apartment so he will be a lot better off here.
I would be willing to give another 1 the same opportunity. I'm also willing to take a Galapagos or Aldabra. I know some are looking for just a good home & some will come with a rehoming fee.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
...and to add to what Maggie said - male tortoises of any species will fight. They want to be the only tortoise in their territory and will fight to the death to chase others out. Plus different species each need their own yard. Just sayin...

M

Maggie Cummings

There's just so much involved for a new person to take on one big species. What part of the country do you live in? Sulcata don't hibernate, they need room to roam and kept warm. I'm just kinda concerned because you seem to want to take on too much before you are ready. Yes, your Sulcata IS better off on 2 acres, but does he have a his own place to retreat to? Is he locked in at night to be protected against cold and predators?...Does he have his own protected pen? He could get hurt on 2 undeveloped acres...please understand I am not jumping on you, just a concerned Sulcata lover...that's all...:)

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I'd have to agree with Maggie and Yvonne here. That little boy of seven seems manageable now, but once he becomes a teenager, he is going to be six hands full. When I was younger, I enjoyed keeping my sulcata Jerry so much that I decided fostering two more would be fun. After all, the bigger the better, right? Ultimately, I just found dealing with so many of them to be a bit overwhelming. I mean, they're just so big, and instead of one tortoise surprising me with all the trouble he could get into over the course of a day, I had three beasts throwing their weight around. I also found myself overwhelmed by their winter care, and housing three giants indoors instead of one is much more costly, heating wise and space wise. Keep in mind that I had all of these beasts in addition to a small group of marginated tortoises and a Greek tortoise. I believe I was also fostering two little redfoots at the time. My house was a zoo, and I had so many torts that, with school and a part time job, I really didn't have time for, meaning that my whole family had to participate in the upkeep. Nowadays, Jerry passed away due to an unfortunate illness, and I adopted out those other two giants. Now, I keep a bunch of marginated tortoises and the Greek, but they are cake compared to the crazy amount of care that goes into keeping a giant. So yeah, I know you may be thinking that you need to do your part and save as many of these beasts as we can, but this isn't the way to go about it. The best way, in my thinking, is to get people you know to join the forum. Get people interested in tortoises. I try to talk up tortoises to anyone who will listen, given how many unwanted ones there are out there.

T.G.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I hope things go well for your new sully. They can be a handful - or wheelbarrow full. :)

Just a hint here. And I'm saying this nicely with a smile :)
Aldabra and Galapagos are VERY expensive tortoises. Everyone on this forum knows this. Anyone who has one knows this. A baby Galop is $5k. Baby Aldabra $1,800 and up. They gain in value as they age. Never going down.

So volunteering to adopt / resue one makes little sense to us.
Remember , I'm being nice :)

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Lego man,

Can you please tell me more about your winter habitat and if your recently adopted Sulcata is a male or female? I am looking for a proper placement for the three Sulcatas we rescued. But the new keeper has to be further south or west than we are so they can survive the winter, know proper husbandry habits. We have nursed these three guys to good health after rescuing them and need to be comfortable that the same will continue in their new home and have first right of refusal if the new keeper is unable to continue their care. The two younger males, 20lb 5 yr old and 28 lb 7 yr old must stay together. They have been together since hatchlings and insist upon sharing a hid, eating and sleeping together. The 67lb male also gets along perfectly with them and they like to be a herd regardless of what others say about Sulcatas being solitary animals and fighting each other to the death, that is absolutely not the case with these three. The large make does not have to be kept with the younger two but he would be fine remaining with them. They have all been together for two years

Lego man

5 Year Member
We would be happy to give them a home.The sulcata we rescued is a 15lb male. I currently have a 6'x3' heated house built for him. We have a 250sq.ft pen that my son and I are in the process of enlarging to prob 500sq.ft. We have 2.5acres that we let them roam & graze also. Email me so we can discuss. hollarranch@ hotmail.com. Thx

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...and to add to what Maggie said - male tortoises of any species will fight. They want to be the only tortoise in their territory and will fight to the death to chase others out. Plus different species each need their own yard. Just sayin...
...and just to make what Yvonne said a little more controversial. If you keep mature male sulcatas with male galaps or Aldabras...guess what happens? You'll have galaps and aldabras with their sides split open. Yes! It's very likely a sulcata will kill either!

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Don't know anything about how mixed breed makes behave together. Just know my three make Sulcatas never once behave aggressively towards one another. They use each other for pillows and choose to congregate. Now Big a Duke is a lot older and has about 40 pounds on the other two. They were in an aquarium at about 5 pounds, with four other torts of two other breeds when we rescued them. They weight between 20 and 32 pounds now and get frantic when apart. Last bet trip took them both even though only one needed seen just to avoid the angst for them. I imagine the behavior stems from their early years spent huddled together where they had very little freedom of movement