Just an update on Sheldon

Zantino1

Location (City and/or State)
Redlands
Sheldon has been doing great she is almost 5 pounds now haven’t weighed her since yesterday, but it’s been an week and 2 days since I have been watching her closely with the right needs.
I recently changed to coconut coir and got my humidifier for her too. I feed her on a schedule every 2 days of spring mix and cactus and about everyday, of a bite or two of cuttlebone.
I have some worries though she passed a lot of urates in today’s bath. I have been soaking her everyday and giving her water but some were smooth while others were gritty, she got scared when I was brushing her shell.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi @Zantino1, glad to hear Sheldon is doing well. Can you post some pics of your tortoise and enclosure?

How much do you feed Sheldon at a time? My sulcata is only 3, but we feed him daily.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
There are healthier foods for him than spring mix. You want to limit the amount of oxalates in his diet.
Did I understand your post correctly? Are you only feeding every other day? Feeding every day is preferable.

Zantino1

Redlands
IMG_2267.jpgIMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2276.jpg
Sorry for the late reply was at school but here’s some pictures she was pyramiding when I got her but anyways I thought I saw something saying you should feed them every other day
If there’s any other greens I should give her better than spring mix please tell me I will happily change it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Your tortoise needs a bigger enclosure and it should be covered to keep the humidity in. The pyramiding will only get worse if you don't provide proper humidity. A humidifier isn't enough. Covering the enclosure is essential.

Grass and weeds should make up the majority of diet. If you have a yard, you can harvest the grass and weeds if they haven't been sprayed.
Here is a list of foods: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Zantino1

Redlands
Ok thank you but another question how and what should I cover it with? And how much should I cover?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ok thank you but another question how and what should I cover it with? And how much should I cover?
You should cover the entire thing with the lights inside. People have made a stand and used a shower curtain hung over it. You don't want to put anything that would melt or burn in direct contact with the lights.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Sheldon has been doing great she is almost 5 pounds now haven’t weighed her since yesterday, but it’s been an week and 2 days since I have been watching her closely with the right needs.
I recently changed to coconut coir and got my humidifier for her too. I feed her on a schedule every 2 days of spring mix and cactus and about everyday, of a bite or two of cuttlebone.
I have some worries though she passed a lot of urates in today’s bath. I have been soaking her everyday and giving her water but some were smooth while others were gritty, she got scared when I was brushing her shell.
I read that wrong, yes as others said, feed evry day. Like the name Sheldon.