Just bought a pop up greenhouse and it’s slightly too short .

JDDV97

Location (City and/or State)
Houston Tx
I switched over to closed enclosure started off with plastic tub and now a greenhouse however the cover is slightly too short and leaves a gap at the bottom . Will this be an issue as far as humidity and heat leaking. I was gonna build a small base or put the plastic tub in the greenhouse or should I just return it ?

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

JDDV97

Houston Tx
I duct taped 3 sides down , the front side I left alone because that’s how I enter via zipper , The tub is temporary. I am building a 3x3 wood base for him tomorrow with 6 inch’s walls , but what do you think so far one basting light, one ceramic heat, emitter , ReptiBark, saucer water dish , humid hide, safe plants from table tortoise , cuttle bone , 2 digital thermoster , I got a thermometer gun too, @Well @Littleredfootbigredheart @Tom @Megatron's Mom

Attachments

• IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    804 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2444.jpeg
    IMG_2444.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

JDDV97

Houston Tx
I will post the finish product tomorrow with the finished base !! Do I need more ceramic heat emitters? Do I need to put air holes ?

Vancouver bc
I duct taped 3 sides down , the front side I left alone because that’s how I enter via zipper , The tub is temporary. I am building a 3x3 wood base for him tomorrow with 6 inch’s walls , but what do you think so far one basting light, one ceramic heat, emitter , ReptiBark, saucer water dish , humid hide, safe plants from table tortoise , cuttle bone , 2 digital thermoster , I got a thermometer gun too, @Well @Littleredfootbigredheart @Tom @Megatron's Mom
Great job. I can tell you really care about your torts well being!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I will post the finish product tomorrow with the finished base !! Do I need more ceramic heat emitters? Do I need to put air holes ?
Sounds good so far, yeah try and match the size the greenhouse is when building your base so the sides are as flush with it as possible, helps seals things in, I’d suggest building the sides a few inches higher if you can to allow for the substrate depth, as you plan on using wood for the base, I’d get yourself some liner as soon as you can to protect it. Also is there a way you can raise the enclosure off of the floor? Like onto a table? Heat rises, so you’ll have an easier time heating things if you can raise it, it’s colder on the floor.

See how you temps are reading to gauge whether to add another ceramic, but I shouldn’t imagine so in this size, time shall tell. No need to add air holes no, it’s not air tight and they’ll be plenty of exchange when you do your daily husbandries🙂

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Buy a bigger plastic tub that fits the whole bottom of the greenhouse, and leave it in there. It contains the substrate, etc. and keeps the moisture, etc. inside and not out on your floor. I like what you've done. Your little tortoise will be very happy in there.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Buy a bigger plastic tub that fits the whole bottom of the greenhouse, and leave it in there. It contains the substrate, etc. and keeps the moisture, etc. inside and not out on your floor. I like what you've done. Your little tortoise will be very happy in there.
Thank you 😍

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Sounds good so far, yeah try and match the size the greenhouse is when building your base so the sides are as flush with it as possible, helps seals things in, I’d suggest building the sides a few inches higher if you can to allow for the substrate depth, as you plan on using wood for the base, I’d get yourself some liner as soon as you can to protect it. Also is there a way you can raise the enclosure off of the floor? Like onto a table? Heat rises, so you’ll have an easier time heating things if you can raise it, it’s colder on the floor.

See how you temps are reading to gauge whether to add another ceramic, but I shouldn’t imagine so in this size, time shall tell. No need to add air holes no, it’s not air tight and they’ll be plenty of exchange when you do your daily husbandries
Understood so you’re saying, build the base as close to the size of the greenhouse as possible ,

and build the height of the walls taller. Is 12 inches high enough ?

And cover the floor of the base with liner . Will a tarp work ?

And to place the base on some sort of platform to raise it off the ground ? I was thinking maybe 4 to 6 cylinder blocks that are 12 inches high?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, one incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking.
One maybe two CHE. Depends on your temps, specially at night whether one or two is needed
One tube flourescent uvb or outside sun when warm. One hide, one low sided water dish, feeding plate.
Get humidity to 80% day and night.
Build the box tomorrow to have the greenhouse fit tight around it.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Yes, one incandescent FLOOD bulb for basking.
One maybe two CHE. Depends on your temps, specially at night whether one or two is needed
One tube flourescent uvb or outside sun when warm. One hide, one low sided water dish, feeding plate.
Get humidity to 80% day and night.
Build the box tomorrow to have the greenhouse fit tight around it.
Thank you for your reply. Understood make the base as big as the greenhouse interior frame . I’m building it now. Will a tarp work for floor lining , ?

I have 1x flukers incandescent 60 watt
& 1x Lucky Hero 75W Ceramic heat emitter

And the basking stone is the same thing as a feeding slate, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for your reply. Understood make the base as big as the greenhouse interior frame . I’m building it now. Will a tarp work for floor lining , ?

I have 1x flukers incandescent 60 watt
& 1x Lucky Hero 75W Ceramic heat emitter

And the basking stone is the same thing as a feeding slate, right?
Make sure the Flukers is a Flood bulb not Spot bulb.
Yes, you can use a flat rock for basking and one for food if you want. Some use a clay saucer for food.
Yes a tarp will work for the floor. That's what I used on all mine.

JDDV97

Houston Tx
Make sure the Flukers is a Flood bulb not Spot bulb.
Yes, you can use a flat rock for basking and one for food if you want. Some use a clay saucer for food.
Yes a tarp will work for the floor. That's what I used on all mine.
Thank you for your message ! Is this bulb ok ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1