Just got two Lake Tanganyika Turtles, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbelgrave

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have just got two sweet little creatures from someone in Burundi (central/east Africa, between Tanzania and Congo), where i am living. I was wondering what species they were (see photo) and any advice regarding how much they need to be in water, what they eat, etc. Are they African Helmeted Turtle?

The guy who i got them off fed them minced meat every now and then.. How often should they be fed, and surely they eat more than just minced meat?

Thanks for any advice/help

James

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 68
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi James:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I don't know what kind of turtles you have, I just wanted to Welcome you to the forum!!

Most water turtles will eat bits of chicken or fish, bugs and worms, vegetation, etc. I toss in a quartered (lengthwise) piece of zucchini occasionally. My water turtles love water hiacynth. I also feed them Trout Chow, but I doubt you'd be able to buy that in Africa. If you have access to a pet store, you can buy pellets that they sell for fish food.

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Your turtles are very beautiful and have very expressive faces.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
They do look like african helmeted turtles to me, pelomedusa subrufa. I know they are decent swimmers but like to walk along the bottom of the water and spend a lot of time in the mud. They should probably have a larger body of water than the little pool you showed in the picture if you can give them one.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
jamesbelgrave said:
Hi,

I have just got two sweet little creatures from someone in Burundi (central/east Africa, between Tanzania and Congo), where i am living. I was wondering what species they were (see photo) and any advice regarding how much they need to be in water, what they eat, etc. Are they African Helmeted Turtle?

The guy who i got them off fed them minced meat every now and then.. How often should they be fed, and surely they eat more than just minced meat?

Thanks for any advice/help

James

Looks like it might be the same species of turtle as in the following documentary on Lake Tanganyika cichlids, called Jewels of the Rift. The turtle appears toward the end of the first clip (8:55-9:20), and in the begging of the second clip (0:00-3:05):

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rL-QllBUpo[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ne2WTcSh08[/video]

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
jeffbens0n said:
They do look like african helmeted turtles to me, pelomedusa subrufa. I know they are decent swimmers but like to walk along the bottom of the water and spend a lot of time in the mud. They should probably have a larger body of water than the little pool you showed in the picture if you can give them one.

If they are then set up 125 to a bigger size tank because you want plenty of room for them to swim and roam. Also the water level should be decent you know. I do a lot of reading on austinsturtlepage.com there maybe something there for you and nice pics. Also make sure what they eat because some water turtles eat different diets like my musk is more carnivore but my RESs are more herbivore. So make sure you fit their diet needs well good luck. Nice turtle :D

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Pelusios Sinuatus........And they won't eat anything but animal Protein........

Status
Not open for further replies.