Just new to the forum

Supercurt

Hello everyone,
I just acquired a cherry head red footed tortoise. I having a hard time keeping the humidity in the range specified. Every time I mist the enclosure the humidity rises but after a few hours it drops below the acceptable range. I mist the substrate and his log hide out. I am using 1.5 inches of Eco terra coco fiber and little forest moss, and a mixture of Cyprus mulch and bark mulch. Any advice to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

lochancello

I would suggest making their substrate deeper. At least 3-4 inches. I had the same problem with my Tortoise a while ago and that's what fixed it for me. Also keeping the water dish under or near the heat of the cage can help lots!

Supercurt

Ya. The total thickness of the substrate is about 3-4 inches deep. And just not sure if we need to keep re moistening the bottom layer. We keep the water dish as close to the hot side as possible but still seems to not stay humid. Should I try moistening the substrate again? Just don't want to create mold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Instead of misting the substrate/habitat, pour a bunch of water over it then mix it up with your hand. After that, when it starts to day out, pour the water down in a corner so it flows underneath, but allows the top to stay a bit drier. Coco fiber doesn't mold, but if you allow old food or feces to stay in the substrate, that will mold.

Supercurt

Would that still work with the coconut fiber under the bark? Would I just mix the wood chips with the water? My wood chips are another later on top of the coconut fiber. Should I mix it all together?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Supercurt said:
Would that still work with the coconut fiber under the bark? Would I just mix the wood chips with the water? My wood chips are another later on top of the coconut fiber. Should I mix it all together?

Yes. You can. Wood chip will hold some moisture but not as well as the coco coil.

And welcome to the forum.

Supercurt

Thanks for all the welcomes. I will try mixing it all together and see what happens. Thanks for. All your help it is greatly appreciated.

HollyAbigail

Supercurt said:
Hello everyone,
I just acquired a cherry head red footed tortoise. I having a hard time keeping the humidity in the range specified. Every time I mist the enclosure the humidity rises but after a few hours it drops below the acceptable range. I mist the substrate and his log hide out. I am using 1.5 inches of Eco terra coco fiber and little forest moss, and a mixture of Cyprus mulch and bark mulch. Any advice to help me out would be greatly appreciated.

I would use only cypress mulch, mixing can be good but cypress mulch holds the most moisture and is great for keeping the humidity up, I have red foots myself and I have found and been told so many times it's the best for them. Any other mulch should really be used because what aromas it gives off is bad for their lungs. With the cypress mulch, one a week you could pour a bucket of water on it and re-hydrate it as well as spraying it two/three times a day:)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Here's a different route to try, if you want. If you have an open-topped enclosure, you can build a frame out of pvc over the enclosure and cover it with a plastic dropcloth. That way you can trap some of the heat and most of the moisture. It's easy to make, decently cheap to do, and you can still access your torts easily.

Supercurt

Was thinking of getting a mister possibly. But would a humidifier work just as well? I will try the humidifier and see if it helps. Thanks.