Just saying hello!

autox19

Location (City and/or State)
east lansing mi
I have 2 sulcata torts.
Phoenix is my girl. Got her at 3 weeks in 1993 from ( go figure) Phoenix.
Pharaoh is my Male. He is 15 and was rescue 5 years ago from a science teacher who didn't realize the work involved. Way to go with research!
I live in Michigan so they are inside until summer. They are in the pen now. The pen is made with 2x12 treated boards with cement blocks on the outside. There are no right angles to keep them from burrowing under. I have found this to be trick. Never had them try to dig under. Phoenix does dig against them when she buries her clutch though (2 so far, first infertile second in incubator) the only spot they dig is under the culvert in the center. I fill it back up in the fall.

Well just a basic hi! 20180528_113516.jpg 20180528_113534.jpg 20180528_113555.jpg

Mike

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I have 2 sulcata torts.
Phoenix is my girl. Got her at 3 weeks in 1993 from ( go figure) Phoenix.
Pharaoh is my Male. He is 15 and was rescue 5 years ago from a science teacher who didn't realize the work involved. Way to go with research!
I live in Michigan so they are inside until summer. They are in the pen now. The pen is made with 2x12 treated boards with cement blocks on the outside. There are no right angles to keep them from burrowing under. I have found this to be trick. Never had them try to dig under. Phoenix does dig against them when she buries her clutch though (2 so far, first infertile second in incubator) the only spot they dig is under the culvert in the center. I fill it back up in the fall.

Well just a basic hi! View attachment 240103 View attachment 240104 View attachment 240105

Mike
Hello and welcome. I have a Sulcata too, and also live in Michigan. I'm by the Grand Rapids area, I live in Allendale by Grand Valley State University.

autox19

east lansing mi
Welcome! If you find that the male bothers the female too much, you may want to divide their yard and separate them.
They have been together for 5 years with out an issue. That is with their night time pen in winter being only 6'x4'.

Amazing buds actually. I was surprised as she is on the small side.

Mike

autox19

east lansing mi
Hello and welcome. I have a Sulcata too, and also live in Michigan. I'm by the Grand Rapids area, I live in Allendale by Grand Valley State University.
Awesome! So you felt my pain this pseudo spring as well. They were going crazy smelling spring but it was so cold for so long. So inside they stayed

Mike

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Awesome! So you felt my pain this pseudo spring as well. They were going crazy smelling spring but it was so cold for so long. So inside they stayed

Mike
Totally, it was a horrible spring. Nothing like ice storms in April LOL. I don't feel like we really got a spring, in the 90s now and loving it. When you have time I would love to see pictures and hear your experiences raising these guys in the winter. Mine is only a little over 7 pounds now, so I haven't quite got to the dilemma yet of what to do with a hundred pound tortoise with 12 in of snow on the ground.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
hi Mike, thanks for sharing about your sullies. sounds like you have a good place for them. Love tthe picture of the dug out place.