Just wondering if my Russian Tortoise has a suitable habitat.

YesImRachel

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio (Cleveland area)
image.jpg image.jpg

I recently had some issues with my Shelby. I think she's feeling a little better now. She would not eat or move. I took her to the vet numerous times and they gave her medicine but it honestly didn't seem to do much. She lost a lot of weight and her beak became very long. I recently changed substrates because she had swollen eyes and thought this had something to do with it. I was using coconut fiber and play sand. I did not like the coco fiber at all! I don't think she did either. Very dry and dirty even when I watered it. I switched to topsoil and play sand... But only a little sand because I am not a fan of that either. It is great so far and seems so much better for her respiratory system. She is a lot more active and is eating. It seems hard for her to eat because her beak is so long ( I will include a pic.) The kiddie pool is working out great and the shape makes it seem bigger to her. I am a little worried about humidity though. Do you think this habitat is okay? It is hard to cover because of its shape. Her eyes look so much better than last month (she wouldn't even open them and would constantly rub them against her arms.) You can probably tell that they are still swollen... But much better than if you saw her a couple weeks ago! I do soak her twice a week and she does drink. She never poops and I rarely find any in the substrate which is a little weird. I hope she is okay. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128

YesImRachel

Ohio (Cleveland area)
View attachment 82001 View attachment 82002

I recently had some issues with my Shelby. I think she's feeling a little better now. She would not eat or move. I took her to the vet numerous times and they gave her medicine but it honestly didn't seem to do much. She lost a lot of weight and her beak became very long. I recently changed substrates because she had swollen eyes and thought this had something to do with it. I was using coconut fiber and play sand. I did not like the coco fiber at all! I don't think she did either. Very dry and dirty even when I watered it. I switched to topsoil and play sand... But only a little sand because I am not a fan of that either. It is great so far and seems so much better for her respiratory system. She is a lot more active and is eating. It seems hard for her to eat because her beak is so long ( I will include a pic.) The kiddie pool is working out great and the shape makes it seem bigger to her. I am a little worried about humidity though. Do you think this habitat is okay? It is hard to cover because of its shape. Her eyes look so much better than last month (she wouldn't even open them and would constantly rub them against her arms.) You can probably tell that they are still swollen... But much better than if you saw her a couple weeks ago! I do soak her twice a week and she does drink. She never poops and I rarely find any in the substrate which is a little weird. I hope she is okay. Let me know what you think!

By the way, I'm sorry if I did not post this correctly! I am very inexperienced with forums. I might have put this in the wrong section but I will eventually learn :)

kball

By the way, I'm sorry if I did not post this correctly! I am very inexperienced with forums. I might have put this in the wrong section but I will eventually learn :)

Don't worry if u r inexperienced I still don't no how to post pics when I make a new thread.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have read that play sand is not generally liked. Can cause impactions & can hurt eyes. Russians also like a lot of room so you should prob look for something bigger long term. If you have not already, make sure you are getting her some outside time. We have had some good ohio weather & mine go out for at least two hrs a day & more when my perm enclosure is done. The sun does wonders for their health! Read this link if you haven't to make sure your temps are good! Good luck :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

T1ME1

East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
Hi Iam relatively new to this - but have got a couple of observations:

Have you got a thermometer to check the various temperatures of the enclosure? You need to make sure the basking temp is high enough.

I too have been told that sand is not good as if eaten by the Tort, it can cause problems as it will build up in their gut. I use pure coconut coir but I am sure others on here will be able to suggets alternatives if you are not keen.

Cannot really see the water bowl/foot bowl properly but I understand that it is a good idea for food to be served on a bit of slate or something to help with the beak issue. May also be a good idea to put some cuttlefish in there, to provide calcium and again help with the beak.

Hope it all goes well. Glad Shelly seems to be getting better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

I recently had some issues with my Shelby. I think she's feeling a little better now. She would not eat or move. I took her to the vet numerous times and they gave her medicine but it honestly didn't seem to do much. She lost a lot of weight and her beak became very long. I recently changed substrates because she had swollen eyes and thought this had something to do with it.
First question. What type of bulb are you using for UVB? Compact (coil type) bulbs are kniwn to cause eye problems. We always recommend that they are never used; use MVB or strip type UVB bulbs only.

I was using coconut fiber and play sand. I did not like the coco fiber at all! I don't think she did either. Very dry and dirty even when I watered it. I switched to topsoil and play sand... But only a little sand because I am not a fan of that either. It is great so far and seems so much better for her respiratory system.[/quote ]

Sand can impact in the gut. It is generalky recommended that you don't use it all.

She is a lot more active and is eating. It seems hard for her to eat because her beak is so long ( I will include a pic.)

A new tort can take months to get used to a new home and this is often the probkem with inactivity. But you also need to be certain that your temperatures are correct. A temperature gun thermometer is most accurate and can be biught cheaply from Amazon. The beak can be gently filed to get it back in shape. Feding the tort on a piece of slate and including plenty of weeds to bite on helps with maintenance.

The kiddie pool is working out great and the shape makes it seem bigger to her. I am a little worried about humidity though. Do you think this habitat is okay? It is hard to cover because of its shape. Her eyes look so much better than last month (she wouldn't even open them and would constantly rub them against her arms.) You can probably tell that they are still swollen... But much better than if you saw her a couple weeks ago! I do soak her twice a week and she does drink. She never poops and I rarely find any in the substrate which is a little weird. I hope she is okay. Let me know what you think!

To poop properly you tort does need lots of fibre in her diet. What are you feeding her? The pool makes a great home for an older tortoise, but younger ones do need higher humifdity levels. How old (or big) is your tort?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can take a toe nail clipper and just clip off that point on the tortoise's beak. Take off a little clip at a time until you have it up where it belongs.
I don't think your tortoise is warm enough. The lights are too high.

The kiddie pool is an ok habitat for your tortoise. Its a good size for him, but be thinking about getting him outside on nice days.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I actually add finished compost (beautiful soft organic soil) to the coir and then add sand. My crew and I really like it.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but if you feed your tort on a piece of slate rock or sandstone it will grind down her beak naturally in about a month and a half to two months. most torts have issues with you clipping their beaks and will retract their head. You could hold her head out and trim the beak. However this a lot of times can lead to bruising around the ears and jaw. I am speaking from experience with some rescue torts that I have taken in in the past.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night?
2. I would not use that red bulb. Use "regular" white bulbs for day time. If your house stays warmer than 60 degrees, you shouldn't need any night heat.
3. Everyone who goes to the vet with a sand impacted tortoise previously thought it was fine. They were all told, or read on the internet, that it was fine and good to use. Every one of them. That is, until x-rays shows them that it wasn't fine and good to use.
4. Is that a coil type UV bulb? Those can burn reptile eyes, and might be the source of your eye problems.
5. The sand is the other likely cause of your eye issues. Damp coir is not dusty and does not bother their eyes. I have 20 babies on it right now. Sounds like yours was too dry.

Here are a couple of threads that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

AND.... Hello and welcome to the forum! I like your kiddie pool. :)

I love the kiddie pool as an enclosure, I think the size at the moment is great because of the elephant breaking her line of vision so it will make it feel bigger to her! So cute:)
I use cuttle fish bone to keep my tortoises beak down.:)

TurtleTab

I like the pool idea! It's cute! I don't know what area you are from but wondering if the pool can be placed outside for natural sunshine? Sunshine really does wonders with turtles/tortoises health, even eyes. Or maybe get another kiddie pool for outside time. Leave her outside for the day, bring her in during the night. But make sure the pool is deep enough so she doesn't climb out. The pool currently looks low on some sides where if she wanted to, can climb out. And I had to trim my russian tortoise beak down, too. I rescued her and her beak was past her lower jaw. I used big nail clippers and clipped small sections at a time...but not all at once because she was too scared...it was stressful. I feed her on a concrete slab, not sure if that's good enough, but it's hard and will wear down her beak a little more. Currently, her beak is parallel with her lower jaw. Its a work in progress, she still doesn't trust me fully.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And outside pool is also a great idea. But make sure there is shade so she doesn't get too hot in the sun, maybe some real Planson there would be great too so she could eat a little bit. There are lists of edible plants in the care sheet section.

liamthetortoise

It's pretty good I would just take out the sand and put reptile carpet in and also some Timothy hay inside of the hides but it's good because it's big for him to Rome in

liamthetortoise

I like the pool idea! It's cute! I don't know what area you are from but wondering if the pool can be placed outside for natural sunshine? Sunshine really does wonders with turtles/tortoises health, even eyes. Or maybe get another kiddie pool for outside time. Leave her outside for the day, bring her in during the night. But make sure the pool is deep enough so she doesn't climb out. The pool currently looks low on some sides where if she wanted to, can climb out. And I had to trim my russian tortoise beak down, too. I rescued her and her beak was past her lower jaw. I used big nail clippers and clipped small sections at a time...but not all at once because she was too scared...it was stressful. I feed her on a concrete slab, not sure if that's good enough, but it's hard and will wear down her beak a little more. Currently, her beak is parallel with her lower jaw. Its a work in progress, she still doesn't trust me fully.
I agree