Just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
I did do my research about redfoots before I got it but I was curious about something. I feed my red foot spring mix (organic) and sometimes other fruits. I was wondering if it's okay to just feed them that (I don't give them the spinach) So do you think spring mix is good for them? Or should I give them spring mix and add more veggies in it. If you don't know what spring mix is it is a box of greens that has like 4 or 5 different type of veggies in them. I usaully get one of everything from the box and give it to my red foot like that. Is that okay for them? I was also curious about what you guys feed them...so yeah thanks :D

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm sure they could live off just Spring Mix, but i know thats not best for them. Plus it's always good to give variety. Redfoots are suppose to be eating vegetables, fruits, and I'm pretty sure a little bit of meat.

I haven't got my redfoot yet but hope to get it by the beginning of the new year:p

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Redfoots need....fruit,veg,weeds,animal matter in there diet...heres some examples....
Fruit-
Watermelon,honeydew melon,pear,apple,peach,plum,banana[occasionaly],kiwi,grapes,mango,strawberry,blueberry,blackberry....
Weeds-
Dandelion flower&leaves,clover flower&leaves,rose,bindweed,grass [many more...]
Veg-
Butternut squash,Tomato,Sweetheart cabbage,gem lettuce,romaine lettuce,red cabbage,green cabbage,carrot,celery [not much nutrition],
spinach [on occasion],rocket etc.....
Protein/animal matter can be fed through-
Low fat dog/cat food,tortoise pellets,hobby/pinkie mice,boiled egg,boiled chicken breast etc.....
hope this helped! :D :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Mark has a lot of helpful information on RF diets at The Tortoise Library (in his signature). You can also find information on edible plants if you go to the Tortoise library and click on "helpful links" (under Helpful Info and Books section), this will bring you to a number of sub-headed topics. You'll see the "Edible Tortoise Plants" and a number of corresponding places to go for information on plants you can feed your RF. I like the "Tortoise Table UK" link because they have a very interpretive interface.
If you see plants listed there and you're not sure whether or not you have identified it (based on the images they provide you), don't feed it to your tortoise! The information Tyler gave you above is a great start, this would be if you want to get a bit more involved.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Spring mix is great but just a bit shy on calcium. You can make it great by adding a bit of calcium to every 2nd or 3rd meal, or better yet, adding high-calcium foods (collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, grape or mulberry leaves) to the mix or rotating them.

My guys love spring mix, but are not as fond of other higher calcium choices, so I sprinkle a bit of a mix I made up on every few servings. The mix I made is mostly ground up Timothy hay (rabbit blocks), some calcium powder, and a crushed multivitamin tablet.

(And Chris- thanks for the plug!)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Redstrike said:
Mark has a lot of helpful information on RF diets at The Tortoise Library (in his signature). You can also find information on edible plants if you go to the Tortoise library and click on "helpful links" (under Helpful Info and Books section), this will bring you to a number of sub-headed topics. You'll see the "Edible Tortoise Plants" and a number of corresponding places to go for information on plants you can feed your RF. I like the "Tortoise Table UK" link because they have a very interpretive interface.
If you see plants listed there and you're not sure whether or not you have identified it (based on the images they provide you), don't feed it to your tortoise! The information Tyler gave you above is a great start, this would be if you want to get a bit more involved.

I really like tortoise table its a great web!

Status
Not open for further replies.