Juvenile sulcata eye problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

yettie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
patterson, calif.
I just aquired this tortoise, the petshop owner only fed her "Iceberg lettuce" for over a year(he did not know any better). She is eating well now, however her eyes seem not normal..... I hope someone can help me. Thx

Attachments

• turtles 2 006.JPG
    turtles 2 006.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 81

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Might need a closeup picture.

How is your humidity and do you soak your tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are correct. Those eyes do look sort of squinted up. Normally they should be open wider than that with not so much of the white eyelid showing all around. I don't know what to tell you, though. I don't know if its from pain or what.

There's a product called Terramycin Opthalmic Eye Ointment. Its hard to find (I think one of our members here had some for sale a while back - EricIvens) Try putting some of this ointment on the eye two or three times a day and see if that helps.

There is another medication that I've just learned about and haven't tried it yet - Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel. You can buy this at feed stores or online.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you sure its a sulcata? Kinda looks like a desert.. but need more pics.. and something looks off with the eyes.. more info?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
you sure its a sulcata? Kinda looks like a desert.. but need more pics.. and something looks off with the eyes.. more info?

OMG, Laura! You're correct. That is NOT a sulcata tortoise.

Yettie, can we see some more pictures please?

Yes, I looked at the picture on your other thread, and that is a desert tortoise, for sure. If you paid money for it, you need to go back to the store and tell them its against the law to buy or sell desert tortoises and you'd like your money back.

yettie

5 Year Member
patterson, calif.
emysemys said:
Laura said:

Yes, I looked at the picture on your other thread, and that is a desert tortoise, for sure. If you paid money for it, you need to go back to the store and tell them its against the law to buy or sell desert tortoises and you'd like your money back.

You say it is illegal to buy this Tortoise, I don't want to give her up! Is it illegal to have her? Where can I find out more information on this. Thank you all for your help! ( I just so happen to have a tube of Terramycin, so I will try this on her eyes) she is so sweet, and very personable....

WillTortoise said:

yettie said:
emysemys said:
Laura said:

You say it is illegal to buy this Tortoise, I don't want to give her up! Is it illegal to have her? Where can I find out more information on this. Thank you all for your help! ( I just so happen to have a tube of Terramycin, so I will try this on her eyes) she is so sweet, and very personable....

WillTortoise said:

Yes, I soak her.. The first day I had her she sat in the bowl and drank( I had to keep adding water) for over 2 hours, it was so sad! The water dish in the enclosure she was in, at the pet store had 3 tortises and 1 box turtle and 1 water dish, full of feces, and had not been cleaned in a long time!

Attachments

• OOOPS 007.JPG
    OOOPS 007.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is illegal to take them from the wild and to buy or sell them, however, it is not illegal to have them. You can apply for a permit from any of the chapters of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club, or directly from the Department of Fish and Game. It is free and very easy to get. They don't make a home visit, its all paperwork. However, on the application they want to know how you acquired this tortoise. The Forum can't condone doing anything illegal, so you'll have to figure out how to answer that question on your own.

ReisAntonio

5 Year Member
Hello,
Im new to this forum and I have a similar problem, my male sulcata(1year and 1 month old) doesn't open his eyes. His with a 9month old female and she's okay. He eats when I put him near his food but If I dont place him near the food plate he won't even notice the food I will post pictures soon. I hope somebody can help me.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.