Juvinile Hermann's Tortoise Scab?

Kristine Riddell

Hey everyone

I've have this guy for a couple months now and I just noticed while giving him a bath that it looks like he has some odd marks on his plastron. I don't see anything that could really hurt him in his enclosure so I am confused what this is.... also he has small white marks at his seems but they are in circle shapes. I will attach pictures for everyone to see. Any advice or suggestions?

20160408_164745.jpg 20160408_164906.jpg 20160408_164922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
White circles normal. The scab as you called it is where the yolk sac was attached. Probably something to do with that. It looks red to me though, like recent blood? If not and it looks like it's healed then I wouldn't worry about it. If not, I would keep it clean and put a little antibiotic over the counter cream on it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put a dab of Neosporin on the spot and make sure the substrate is soft and there's nothing in there to be scratching that spot. I would get some coco coir and add a top layer over the cypress mulch to soften it.

So a search for "White Squiggly lines". We've talked about that a lot

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It looks like recent injury (abrasion type) I second the advise above. Keep us posted
Is the log in your enclosure wood? If it's one of those cement/resin type of ornaments, and with a little highspot some place on your tort's walking path, it may have been your culprit. Also noticed pebbles in your water dish. Be sure there's nothing there that fits in your tort's mouth.