Kane Heat Mat

GeorgeWashington

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,
I just got a Kane heat mat for my tortoise, Geo. I was trying to look it up online but couldn't find anything regarding how often to unplug/turn off the heat mat. Should it be turned off for a few hours everyday? Thanks in advance.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The best way to control a heat mat like this is via a thermostat with a probe. Set your thermostat to lets say 80 & forget about it. Well, really you can monitor it a bit to tweak the temps…..but. once “set” you really never unplug it. The thermostat does all the work.

I have two RHPs in the roof/ceiling of our Sullys nightbox & a kane mat on a part of the floor. All hooked up to one thermostat that has the probe about 12 inches off the floor right in the middle of the nightbox.
Works like a charm.

Good luck…

GeorgeWashington

Las Vegas, NV
The best way to control a heat mat like this is via a thermostat with a probe. Set your thermostat to lets say 80 & forget about it. Well, really you can monitor it a bit to tweak the temps…..but. once “set” you really never unplug it. The thermostat does all the work.

I have two RHPs in the roof/ceiling of our Sullys nightbox & a kane mat on a part of the floor. All hooked up to one thermostat that has the probe about 12 inches off the floor right in the middle of the nightbox.
Works like a charm.

Good luck…
Thank you!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome!
What species is Geo?
We love to see pics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I just got a Kane heat mat for my tortoise, Geo. I was trying to look it up online but couldn't find anything regarding how often to unplug/turn off the heat mat. Should it be turned off for a few hours everyday? Thanks in advance.
In what way are you using it? What species, what size tortoise, indoors or out?

For most applications, they should be run through a thermostat to maintain ambient warmth, as Mark explained.

GeorgeWashington

Las Vegas, NV
In what way are you using it? What species, what size tortoise, indoors or out?

For most applications, they should be run through a thermostat to maintain ambient warmth, as Mark explained.
Hi! I have a female sulcata. She is probably around 30 pounds although I haven’t measured in a while. I am just putting the heat mat in her outdoor enclosure. I live in Las Vegas so it doesn’t get too cold but there are some nights that get down below 50 degrees. I had a med zoo heat mat originally but felt like it was getting too hot because she would always get off of it even when it was cold out so I ordered the Kane heat mat with the thermostat so it wouldn’t get too hot. I just didn’t know if I could leave it on continuously or if it needed to be turned off periodically.
Thanks for your response!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a female sulcata. She is probably around 30 pounds although I haven’t measured in a while. I am just putting the heat mat in her outdoor enclosure. I live in Las Vegas so it doesn’t get too cold but there are some nights that get down below 50 degrees. I had a med zoo heat mat originally but felt like it was getting too hot because she would always get off of it even when it was cold out so I ordered the Kane heat mat with the thermostat so it wouldn’t get too hot. I just didn’t know if I could leave it on continuously or if it needed to be turned off periodically.
Thanks for your response!
Copy that. You will want to use the Kane mat in an insulated box with a thermostat to control it. Place the probe away from the heat sources. If the temp drops below your set point, the Kane mat will be on. If its a warm day and the temp is above your set point, the mat will stay off. You need an insulated tortoise house of at least 4x4x2 feet. The Kane mat alone will not keep the box warm enough. CHEs should not be used over larger tortoises because they will burn the top of the carapace. Radiant heat panels work best for this purpose. I get mine from Will @Kapidolo Farms . You can plug the RHP into the same thermostat that controls the heat mat. Here is what it looks like in practice: