Kane mat

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Has anyone built a platform about 1" above a Kane mat? I am thinking about using PVC expanded board for the platform. My reasoning is when Opo poops on the mat. It is a hassle to pull the mat and power cord out to wash. I was thinking the mat would radiate the heat to the surface of the platform. Then if it needs to be cleaned. I could pull it out and clean it. Any thoughts?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The mats work through contact - If you wanted to have a platform with heat coming from/through it, you'd be better off using something akin to an under tank heating pad, like radiant floor heating mounted to the underside of platform.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The mats work through contact - If you wanted to have a platform with heat coming from/through it, you'd be better off using something akin to an under tank heating pad, like radiant floor heating mounted to the underside of platform.
Thanks, I will research. I wish the power cord plugged into the mat. But I guess they don't want any water intrusion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe you're feeding too many grocery store or wet foods. My 100+lb sulcata's poop just rakes or sweeps off the pad, no hosing required.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Maybe you're feeding too many grocery store or wet foods. My 100+lb sulcata's poop just rakes or sweeps off the pad, no hosing required.
You are probably right. The only time I have a problem is when he eats cactus. During the summer my cactus slow down on growing new pads. The only pads Opo prefers. So the winter months he gets more cactus and that is when his bowels are looser.
Again the experience of Yvonne comes through!?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Do you let the poop dry before removing it?
Usually not, my wife is always looking the first thing in the morning. Without her I don't know what I would do. In my condition she makes it possible for the upkeep of Opo and for me to enjoy Opo. But instead of just wiping she insists on pulling out the mat and cleaning with soap.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anyone built a platform about 1" above a Kane mat? I am thinking about using PVC expanded board for the platform. My reasoning is when Opo poops on the mat. It is a hassle to pull the mat and power cord out to wash. I was thinking the mat would radiate the heat to the surface of the platform. Then if it needs to be cleaned. I could pull it out and clean it. Any thoughts?
The PVC board would act as an insulator and block the heat.

All of my torts poop on their Kane mats. I've never once removed one for scrubbing. I scrape the wet or dried poo off with a flat head shovel and then "drizzle" some dry dirt on the area to absorb any wetness. They poop on it literally every single day, so there is no way to keep it clean and sanitized. It just cooks off and they rub it off when they come and go.

I'm on my way to work right now, but I'll try to get you before and after pics tomorrow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The PVC board would act as an insulator and block the heat.

All of my torts poop on their Kane mats. I've never once removed one for scrubbing. I scrape the wet or dried poo off with a flat head shovel and then "drizzle" some dry dirt on the area to absorb any wetness. They poop on it literally every single day, so there is no way to keep it clean and sanitized. It just cooks off and they rub it off when they come and go.

I'm on my way to work right now, but I'll try to get you before and after pics tomorrow.
Thanks Tom, I will show my wife these posts. She insists on pulling it out and scrubbing. I gotta love her, she spoils Opo as bad as me.?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I also use a pig blanket for my bigger tortoises...my routine is...about 7:30 am I go out to the shed with the food in a small tote...First thing I do is to take the shed broom and sweep the whole floor, sweeping any poop fresh urine, or old food out the door...I do not wash it ever. It's so easy to simply sweep. Also in the winter when they get hay and greens their poop is slightly wet, but not enuf to have to wash the mat off. My mat plugs directly into the rheostat but it has a 3 pronged that would plug into the wall or thermostat

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I also use a pig blanket for my bigger tortoises...my routine is...about 7:30 am I go out to the shed with the food in a small tote...First thing I do is to take the shed broom and sweep the whole floor, sweeping any poop fresh urine, or old food out the door...I do not wash it ever. It's so easy to simply sweep. Also in the winter when they get hay and greens their poop is slightly wet, but not enuf to have to wash the mat off. My mat plugs directly into the rheostat but it has a 3 pronged that would plug into the wall or thermostat
I will show Rose all these posts. Maybe she will be willing not to pull everything out and scrub with soap. ?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Do you prefer a rehostat compared to a thermostat?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thermostat...why? I'm not sure...lol
You said your mat was plugged into a rehostat. I was wondering if you had ever used a thermostat on your mat and if you had a preference??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You said your mat was plugged into a rehostat. I was wondering if you had ever used a thermostat on your mat and if you had a preference??
as your questions come up, I am realizing I don't know the answer and even if I use rheostats or thermostats. As soon as it's a little bit light, I'll go out to the shed and take pictures...too dark now, and I don't have a flashlight...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ray: Maggie and I bought the F911 controller that is made to use with the Osborne mat. It's really just a dimmer switch, numbered from 1 to 9. I generally set it around 5 or 6 and that's around 80F degrees.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray: Maggie and I bought the F911 controller that is made to use with the Osborne mat. It's really just a dimmer switch, numbered from 1 to 9. I generally set it around 5 or 6 and that's around 80F degrees.
Thank you Yvonne, I think I will switch to that type. I have been using a thermostat.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you Yvonne, I think I will switch to that type. I have been using a thermostat.

Ok Mr @Ray--Opo you have to explain why you want to switch to a rheostat instead of using your current thermostat? With a thermostat, your mat is automatically adjusted based on the temp sensor. With a rheostat, nothing is automatic and you will have to routinely adjust the rheostat to get the temp you are looking for.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Ok Mr @Ray--Opo you have to explain why you want to switch to a rheostat instead of using your current thermostat? With a thermostat, your mat is automatically adjusted based on the temp sensor. With a rheostat, nothing is automatic and you will have to routinely adjust the rheostat to get the temp you are looking for.
Not entirely true Mark. I have 5 sulcata houses outside and a set up inside for a hatchling Hermann tortoise and not a thermostat used in any of them. I don't have to keep adjusting the rheostats on any of them to maintain temperatures I want. What it takes is more than one heat source all on rheostats. I prefer 3 heat sources, with 3 it is easier to set up for a wider range of temperatures.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I was thinking like Turtulas Len, find the temp I want and leave it alone. Are you thinking if the ambient temperature changes it will throw off my desired setting?