Keeping floor clean

TortloverPM

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral Florida
So I've looked through pages of threads n haven't found quite what I'm looking for. So finishing touches are done on my sulcatas house, or so I thought. Lol! Are their enclosures ever really done? Anyway I've just been putting hay down on the floor in his house but I still find my self having to scrub it out every day and I'm wasting a ton of hay. What can I put down or use to help make this quicker and easier? Probably such a simple solution that I'm overlooking or overthinking. TIA

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Not sure why you are scrubbing it out? I personally just spot clean the large fecal deposits that are usually deposited in our Sullys night box that has a 2-3 inch layer of cypress mulch on the floor. I do this every few days or so. Definitely no scrubbing.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Not sure why you are scrubbing it out? I personally just spot clean the large fecal deposits that are usually deposited in our Sullys night box that has a 2-3 inch layer of cypress mulch on the floor. I do this every few days or so. Definitely no scrubbing.
Because somehow the hay gets moved around n poop ends up smeared on floor. I thought abt just taking out the poops and putting hay over the rest but then I'm like I can't leave it.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I was thinking of those sticky linoleum tiles. Hmm
I think ud be better off with the sheet lino. U can get cheap pieces at home depot they have laying around on clearance. And u can do the whole floor one piece.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
I think ud be better off with the sheet lino. U can get cheap pieces at home depot they have laying around on clearance. And u can do the whole floor one piece.
Oh ok have been to home depot so many times since adopting him you would think I'd have seen these. Lol. Thx! Do you put anything on top of it then hay, straw,etc?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
All up to u. As u said the hay gets a lil messy. U could use a lil mulch like Mark does or nothing at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are we talking about an outdoor night box? I put down a layer of dry dirt. This absorbs the mess and I scrape it out with a flat head shovel as needed. Each day I use one of those aluminum pooper scoopers to remove the large turds, but I use the shovel when there's a real muddy mess.

I tried to use hay in the past, and it doesn't work very well.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Are we talking about an outdoor night box? I put down a layer of dry dirt. This absorbs the mess and I scrape it out with a flat head shovel as needed. Each day I use one of those aluminum pooper scoopers to remove the large turds, but I use the shovel when there's a real muddy mess.

I tried to use hay in the past, and it doesn't work very well.
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!