Keeping Humidity High?

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this has been answered already or if this is common sense but I know that in order to not have pyramiding, you're supposed to keep the enclosure humid. Some people had advised me to get the substrate damp and mix it around, and repeat when it's dry. The only problem is that I go to school for most of the day. I can wet it in the morning (around 7:00), but for the rest of the day (until 3:30) im not home. Any solutions to this? Also my tortoise doesn't wake up until around 9:00-10:00 anyway so would it be better to just spray in his den?

thanks guys

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this has been answered already or if this is common sense but I know that in order to not have pyramiding, you're supposed to keep the enclosure humid. Some people had advised me to get the substrate damp and mix it around, and repeat when it's dry. The only problem is that I go to school for most of the day. I can wet it in the morning (around 7:00), but for the rest of the day (until 3:30) im not home. Any solutions to this? Also my tortoise doesn't wake up until around 9:00-10:00 anyway so would it be better to just spray in his den?

thanks guys
Any solutions to this? Yes you need a closed chamber to retain humidity.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hey guys,

thanks guys

Do you have a decent quality thermometer and hygrometer reader? I am not talking about the cheap pet branded readers. Accurite and Ambient Weather are two examples of fairly accurate and reliable devices. Use and a temperature gun to get your readings.

Substrate that has recently come into contact with a sufficient amount of water is not going to fully dry up in most indoor enclosures. That wouldn't happen even in open enclosures. You're either not using enough water, getting an accurate reading, and or placing the probe in the correct height.

Various pictures of your enclosure setup would help identify the possible issue. When done correctly, a person only has to water and mix the substrate every few days depending on what your temperatures are inside the house. Open enclosures may require more frequency but never more than once a day. Good, deep substrate do not dry out that quickly.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Yes, post some pictures! Also, does your little guy have a humid hide?