Keeping same size baby sulcata torts?

Billna the 2

Location (City and/or State)
Smoaks sc
So my friend is a sulcata breeder and he do keep same size sulcata torts in the same enclosure, now we all know that bigger babys my bully others but what we have notice that same size don't bully, also some people say they don't need friends or anything but it do seem that they do better with another given the size of enclosure, I've notice with mine they sleep together follow each other around (not to bully of course) to either sleep or eat.

In all tell me what you think

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So my friend is a sulcata breeder and he do keep same size sulcata torts in the same enclosure, now we all know that bigger babys my bully others but what we have notice that same size don't bully, also some people say they don't need friends or anything but it do seem that they do better with another given the size of enclosure, I've notice with mine they sleep together follow each other around (not to bully of course) to either sleep or eat.

In all tell me what you think
From what I have read of the signs to look out for, 'following' is one of the bullying behaviours. Even something as subtle as one just staring at the other can intimidate. Bullying isn't always physical - it can progress to this with barging and biting etc., but stress can also cause illness. The size of the enclosure may help but he would need a huge space so that the torts can avoid each other to reduce the risk. I would urge you and your friend to be very wary because one of his/your torts could be having a pretty miserable time of it even if it isn't obvious. I don't think it matters if they are the same size, I am sure I have read somewhere here about smaller torts bullying bigger ones. Torts in groups seem to work better but again in a very big space where they aren't in sight of each other.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sleeping together and following are one of the main signs of bullying. Following is one tortoise trying to chase the other out of its territory, and “Snuggling” is one tortoise trying to stress the other out of its territory.

Yours need to be separated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It usually works out ok if you have a very large group of them together, but when you get down to only two or three or four, the pecking order thinking sets in.