Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Dear Lord. Never even thought of this. So no more Mr. Cuttlebone? Calcium powder and boiled egg crushed up with the shell. OK.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
But chickens are encouraged to ingest oyster shells for good strong shell production..

• If you have laying hens, we recommend that you give them ground oyster shells. It is best to do this “free choice” by putting the oyster shells in a separate container, so that the hens can take as much as they need. The eggshell for each egg that your hen lays is about 95% calcium carbonate by dry weight. (Extracted from Murray McMurray)

So, i guess out with egg shells too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a big jar of Zoo Med Repticalcium (calcium carbonate). Just now I went and dipped my finger in the jar and tasted it, and there's no taste or smell. Cuttlebone does smell pretty fishy. Do you sell the limestone at Kapidolo Farms?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Cuttlebone should smell like fish, shouldn't it? It IS fish.

I'm not understanding this...are you folks saying that the cuttlebone we buy has already been used to suck up metals from the sea, then sold to us for our birds and torts?

Or that the impurities are in the cuttlebone while it is still in the cuttlefish?

Maybe I shouldn't send this post...I'm wondering about my mind...[emoji53]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Will This paper deals with cuttlebone as a dead biomass. Much like carbon is used for removing heavy metals from water. How does this apply to cuttlebone removed from a cuttlefish (squid) during processing where the cuttlebone was not exposed to seawater as a dead biomass?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
But chickens are encouraged to ingest oyster shells for good strong shell production..

• If you have laying hens, we recommend that you give them ground oyster shells. It is best to do this “free choice” by putting the oyster shells in a separate container, so that the hens can take as much as they need. The eggshell for each egg that your hen lays is about 95% calcium carbonate by dry weight. (Extracted from Murray McMurray)

So, i guess out with egg shells too?

Why out with the eggshell ? I still mix the eggshell powder with the calcium carbonate ( like a time capsule)

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Will This paper deals with cuttlebone as a dead biomass. Much like carbon is used for removing heavy metals from water. How does this apply to cuttlebone removed from a cuttlefish (squid) during processing where the cuttlebone was not exposed to seawater as a dead biomass?

If the squid grew up in the polluted ocean, then the bone it has formed while growing has been formed from those food items ingested by the squid which also contain pollutants. Hence, the squid is "polluted" as well. The reasoning is similar to that of fishing in a stream which was or still is polluted. The fishing is allowed only on a "catch and release" basis. No consumption of the fish is permitted.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If the squid grew up in the polluted ocean, then the bone it has formed while growing has been formed from those food items ingested by the squid which also contain pollutants. Hence, the squid is "polluted" as well. The reasoning is similar to that of fishing in a stream which was or still is polluted. The fishing is allowed only on a "catch and release" basis. No consumption of the fish is permitted.
Understood. However my question is about how this paper is only about the results of tests as an inert biomass. There is a huge difference between the way pollutants are metabolized in a living organism and how a dead biomass absorbs chemicals it is exposed to.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
For me the big concern regards these highly intelligent animals,(cuttlefish) being harvested for a bone that we can replace using by simply using “limestone flour “. As I’ve said, I make a pile of the flour in the outdoor yard for free grazing as well as broadcast over the graze. My tortoises free graze from the pile when they need it. I’ve seen calcium scrapes in Africa but never cuttlefish bones laying around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of our Forum members, I think Dean S or maybe Neal, mentioned that they fill a tiny receptacle with calcium powder and just leave it sitting in the enclosure. They eat it when they feel the need. I like that idea.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
One of our Forum members, I think Dean S or maybe Neal, mentioned that they fill a tiny receptacle with calcium powder and just leave it sitting in the enclosure. They eat it when they feel the need. I like that idea.

I know people do that with leopard geckos, and it seems to work okay.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

My Marginals have 2 water dish’s for years but they will not go to the second one even if the first is empty , so I put a third one in their enclosure they will not use it either ! So I don’t trust them to use a dish of calcium!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My Marginals have 2 water dish’s for years but they will not go to the second one even if the first is empty , so I put a third one in their enclosure they will not use it either ! So I don’t trust them to use a dish of calcium!

Good thing they eat on their own. LOL

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I put a cuttlebone in my Redfoots enclosure when I got him last January and he hasn't touched it once? It's still sitting there a year later.

surfergirl

My Margie eats calcium when needed out of a bottle cap. I use cuttlebones as well because they are more resilent to the harsh enclosure enviro. A cap of calcium carbonate gets thrashed, lol

I am going to try going back to the self dosing cap method. I do not find that my torts eat much cuttlebones if I feed them well anyway.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have used all of these things, limestone flower, cuttle-bone, oyster shell as flakes and 'chunks' and have only had that one issue with the one leopard tortoise as I posted it for another thread and linked it in the OP here. What drew me to cuttle done is that it should contain other elements 'nutrients' that compliment calcium carbonate as 'bone'. It is the relecitual protein in it that offers that certain distinct 'fishy smell', even if just a % or two of dried mass. It's not like we are using 'medical grade' cuttle-bone which has been cleaned for human use medicine.

But it got to thinking. Most tortoises supplement their calcium intake by eating bones they find and little bits of calcium rich 'rocks'. Often, at least for species that share habitat with hyenas, that bone is in hyena poop. They will also take advantage of egg shell, even their own as hatchlings eating their own egg shell.

I still do chop up some chicken egg shell with hard-boiled egg, when I don't 'hard-boil' in the microwave, without shell.

Heavy metals are well known in pelagic fish, fish are bioaccumulators of many pollutants. Pre industrial age limestone still has some 'undesirable' composition to it, but it is clean enough to meet 'organic' food criteria. That's what sparked that specific interest. I know there are naysayers for 'organic' I'm a pro-organic foods person.

I've been using limestone based calcium carbonate for a few months now. I bought 4 - 50# pails of it after an initial small quantity trial, as I maximized the opportunity to get it cheap. Yeah I sell it, any diet item order will get a free small amount, on-top of any other diet item sought for free. I ran out of labels already, so I'll refer to this post for 'Label suggested uses' - Toss in 1/8 teaspoon per head (or equivalent) of greens fed, two to three times a week.

To everyone who suggest they get enough calcium directly from a proper diet, I suggest you suggest why you think tortoises in the wild that eat a 'proper diet' still supplement their greens with eggs shell, hyena poop, and bits of calcium rich rocks? They seek more than is in their diet.