Kinixy Owners Help!! I need ideas for enclosure

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Looks like i will be either buying a group of speke's or homena in the next few weeks if everything permits. But with it being very hot in west texas during the summer months and the fact that this will be an outdoor enclosure. I am going to need tons of ideas on how to keep their outside area heavily shaded and keeping moist throughout the day. I do plan on building a pvc water sprinkler system to put inside the enclosure to keep it wet during the mid day heat (will be on a timer). But if you have any ideas with pictures or enclosure pictures please post them. Also list out some plants that y'all have had success with for kinixys.

V/R

Austin

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi, so if you live in Texas spekes would be better than homeana. Because homeana can't tolerate the dry climate -spekii more. My outdoor enclosure is only an example. You can make it better with more plants and sand. My spekiis live together with the nougeiy in the outdoor so I only have one part without big plant and one with a bush. But I think it's better when everywhere are some plants
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397105689.608592.jpg
Right you see my spekes female ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I'll be moving to florida in September so humidity will be def higher there, so maybe i should hold off till then? Spekes are becoming very hard to come by in the states now sadly :( they used to be just as cheap as homeana

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Will I understand what your implying, but not to go off on a tangent I simply stated that i was interested in either species. Trust me i know the habitat requirements are way different, but the reason i wrote spekes is because I ran across a guy who had a group for sale and well he ended up selling them all today unfortunately.....so spekes aren't much of an option now. So homeana is thespecies i'm going to go for now since erosa's and bells are almost like trying to find a unicorn. Anywho if anyone has worked with homeana or has an outdoor setup please send me some pointers, i'm all ears for the planning and preparatory phase.

MsBijou

5 Year Member
I know nothing at all about those species of torts but if I were you I would wait till you get moved. I have a Russian tort and he's been here for a week and I've done everything I can think of just to get him to eat. I KNOW he ate in his previous home as he lived there for 3 years ;). It would seem to me like a good idea to wait to get your torts till you move.

Now good luck with that! The waiting part :D

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
AustinASU said:
Will I understand what your implying, but not to go off on a tangent I simply stated that i was interested in either species. Trust me i know the habitat requirements are way different, but the reason i wrote spekes is because I ran across a guy who had a group for sale and well he ended up selling them all today unfortunately.....so spekes aren't much of an option now. So homeana is thespecies i'm going to go for now since erosa's and bells are almost like trying to find a unicorn. Anywho if anyone has worked with homeana or has an outdoor setup please send me some pointers, i'm all ears for the planning and preparatory phase.
I have an outdoor setup for erosa, but it is kind of 'broken' at the moment after the wind this winter lol. Bear in mind that the UK is pretty humid, and even if that is a dry spot-it gets a lot more sun so it stays warmer- only in summer do I have to water the ground. I have a number of plants, as well as a pond for them-stolen from Jacqui's idea-, but primarily the plants are fruits as it is also a fruit cage. Erosa and homeana both love to climb, so things like gooseberry and grape vines they enjoy as it is a bit different to the stuff inside. They also have a rockery, many hides constructed out of roof tiles stacked and then with another tile across the top, and a number of logs stacked for them to climb on.
I would be worried about keeping homeana outside in Florida. Not because of the humidity which is good for them, but the heat. These guys kind of 'shut down' at about 85 or above ambient, preferring about 75, even though they may bask sometimes. If you ever get close to 100, you may have serious health problems or even death. High temperatures do not go down well with these.