Kinixys belliana belliana behave strangely

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kaunas, Lithuania
I got new Kinixys belliana belliana today. It looked in good condition when I took it on my hand. Eyes were wide open. It moved his legs. Strong shell. In short, nothing strange and unusual noticed. One thing - I didn't see it walking.

The first thing I have done at home was soaking. First of all, it drank a lot and after that I noticed strange thing. Tortoise started spin around and it seemed to be unable to remove the head from the water. There is a video:

Do you have any idea, what could be a problem? I see it for the first time.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I got new Kinixys belliana belliana today. It looked in good condition when I took it on my hand. Eyes were wide open. It moved his legs. Strong shell. In short, nothing strange and unusual noticed. One thing - I didn't see it walking.

The first thing I have done at home was soaking. First of all, it drank a lot and after that I noticed strange thing. Tortoise started spin around and it seemed to be unable to remove the head from the water. There is a video:

Do you have any idea, what could be a problem? I see it for the first time.
I can't get your video to play.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Strange...
Maybe it's the stress.. Otherwise she can have a bone problem because of not enough calcium so her legs can't carry her. Put her in the terrarium and see what happen.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What's your Tortoise acting l Ike now.
Does it work with strength?

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Kaunas, Lithuania
Yes, seems that it could be a bone problem. Yesterday was a long and tiring trip, so I did not notice that one leg may have problems. Today was the same problem on soaking as yesterday. I take out tortoise and saw that he work with 3 foots only. His left back foot was pulled, but do nothing. Usually in such a situation tortoises moves all foots.

P.S. shell is strong.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes, seems that it could be a bone problem. Yesterday was a long and tiring trip, so I did not notice that one leg may have problems. Today was the same problem on soaking as yesterday. I take out tortoise and saw that he work with 3 foots only. His left back foot was pulled, but do nothing. Usually in such a situation tortoises moves all foots.

P.S. shell is strong.
Make sure you give calcium and UVB to help bone development. Feed worms and snails and try and give some sunlight.
If it was me I would keep up the soaks and make some soaks in deep water so she can swim and use the idle leg.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Did you bought the animal from Poland?

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Kaunas, Lithuania
Thank you very much. I'll do it.

@juli11, yes, I got from Poland, but I can't offer it. I got on the condition that will remain in my private collection and not for resale.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Thank you very much. I'll do it.

@juli11, yes, I got from Poland, but I can't offer it. I got on the condition that will remain in my private collection and not for resale.

No no I don't want to keep K. belliana belliana. But i think I know from whom the tortoise is.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok let's hope she's ok. Did she eat?