Distance between tort and uvb lamp?

PalestTortie

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Incandescent flood lamp for the basking zone (like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight), without a thermostat. And a ceramic heat emitter on on/off thermostat for ambient heat (if your dimming thermostat works with ceramic heat emitters - great).
Does the solar thing work without a stat without overheating...? That doesn't seem right..

Ambient heat is fine in my room thanks to my lizards.

PalestTortie

UK
My floodlight lamp only heats where there is light (I put the tort there to warm up), and it comes off (when temp is reached) and on (when it heats again to set temp). It doesn't seem ideal to me personally.

IMG_2869.jpeg

PalestTortie

UK
Hm, and these two just arrived. Perfect for feeding, but for water they're too shallow.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1

PalestTortie

UK
Yeah most likely it didnt eat much since I got it. Just look at how it fails to eat anything at all. After it keeps failining it gives up and walks away. I don't now wonder why it's not super active.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Does the solar thing work without a stat without overheating...? That doesn't seem right..

Ambient heat is fine in my room thanks to my lizards.
You have some options: get a lower wattage lamp, use a rheostat to lower wattage a bit (otherwise, lamp will give light in orange/reds spectrum) and adjust lamp height.

"Solar thing" is an incandescent reflector bulb. Nothing special. Any heat source - DHP, Spot lamps will heat up viv. Even directional heat sources raise temperature because they heat up substrate.

If you keep your reptile room at "tropical minimum" of 80F, any heater in viv can be a problem.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My floodlight lamp only heats where there is light (I put the tort there to warm up), and it comes off (when temp is reached) and on (when it heats again to set temp). It doesn't seem ideal to me personally.

View attachment 376291
That's why basking lamps should run without a thermostat. The only case is emergency shutdown, to prevent overheating - I'm not sure if there are cheaper options than using on/off thermostat with adjustable hysteresis (temperature delta).

You have to achieve balance between ambient heat produced by the lamp and heat dissipation from viv.

PalestTortie

UK
Is it a hard vivarium material? Often you can just make a "mark hole" and then screw a hook with your bare hands.
It's an MFC one. It just would be extremly difficult to move the two other vivs, my back problems were a... well a problem stacking these up. I won't move them again unless I'll be moving, which is nowhere near.

And I don't really understand what you wrote about the heaters. I'm not really understanding around that matter.

And any idea why my tort struggles to get food? Should I just leave out larger pieces for it to trim these itself?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Delay and money. It got its substrate today though.

He's spending his time sniffing and trying to eat it. He's already eaten two small pieces of orchid bark..... I hope that won't cause issues?
No don’t worry, any chip small enough to swallow will come out the other end eventually🥲he’s likely just curious and will stop once he figures it out😊

Our red foot still eats the odd piece and it always comes out lol

PalestTortie

UK
No don’t worry, any chip small enough to swallow will come out the other end eventually🥲he’s likely just curious and will stop once he figures it out😊

Our red foot still eats the odd piece and it always comes out lol
Lol that's wonderfully funny news ever. I guess my guy has a thing for bark 😂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's an MFC one. It just would be extremly difficult to move the two other vivs, my back problems were a... well a problem stacking these up. I won't move them again unless I'll be moving, which is nowhere near.

And I don't really understand what you wrote about the heaters. I'm not really understanding around that matter.

And any idea why my tort struggles to get food? Should I just leave out larger pieces for it to trim these itself?
MFC is not superhard material. But I certainly understand why you don't want to move other vivariums. When I had to screw anything in hard to reach places I did a hole first with a nail and one bash of a hammer - then screw usually goes easy. @Littleredfootbigredheart when you set up Squirt's viv did you drill any holes?

As of heating, perhaps I made some confusion. Could you ask again what's the problem now?

I don't know why tortoise misses the food - looks like the dish border gets in the way. Giving whole leaves may help and you can feed it off the slate or larger dish (so it can fully get in the dish).