Distance between tort and uvb lamp?

PalestTortie

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Incandescent flood lamp for the basking zone (like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight), without a thermostat. And a ceramic heat emitter on on/off thermostat for ambient heat (if your dimming thermostat works with ceramic heat emitters - great).
Does the solar thing work without a stat without overheating...? That doesn't seem right..

Ambient heat is fine in my room thanks to my lizards.

PalestTortie

UK
My floodlight lamp only heats where there is light (I put the tort there to warm up), and it comes off (when temp is reached) and on (when it heats again to set temp). It doesn't seem ideal to me personally.

IMG_2869.jpeg

PalestTortie

UK
Hm, and these two just arrived. Perfect for feeding, but for water they're too shallow.

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1

PalestTortie

UK
Yeah most likely it didnt eat much since I got it. Just look at how it fails to eat anything at all. After it keeps failining it gives up and walks away. I don't now wonder why it's not super active.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Does the solar thing work without a stat without overheating...? That doesn't seem right..

Ambient heat is fine in my room thanks to my lizards.
You have some options: get a lower wattage lamp, use a rheostat to lower wattage a bit (otherwise, lamp will give light in orange/reds spectrum) and adjust lamp height.

"Solar thing" is an incandescent reflector bulb. Nothing special. Any heat source - DHP, Spot lamps will heat up viv. Even directional heat sources raise temperature because they heat up substrate.

If you keep your reptile room at "tropical minimum" of 80F, any heater in viv can be a problem.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My floodlight lamp only heats where there is light (I put the tort there to warm up), and it comes off (when temp is reached) and on (when it heats again to set temp). It doesn't seem ideal to me personally.

View attachment 376291
That's why basking lamps should run without a thermostat. The only case is emergency shutdown, to prevent overheating - I'm not sure if there are cheaper options than using on/off thermostat with adjustable hysteresis (temperature delta).

You have to achieve balance between ambient heat produced by the lamp and heat dissipation from viv.