mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
Hey I’m here at Lowe’s gonna buy some lamp timers @mojo_1 and they have the ones you recommended but if my thermostat plug is a 3 prong hole and the ones you recommended only 2 prong holes . They also have Bluetooth ones here not sure if they’re reliable? Also found these same brand not sure if it’s the same thing but it’s 3 prong hole and would work. What do you thinks best ?
The timers are just for the lights. Your thermostat should not be on a timer. Your lights should all be 2 prong.

Dawsonduro

CA
The timers are just for the lights. Your thermostat should not be on a timer. Your lights should all be 2 p
Ahh didnt even think about this, ill exchange them and get the other ones. I was wondering how often do i need to change substrate and what brands are best for substrate?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
hiya! So yeah just your ambient lighting(the leds) and UV will need to be on a timer.
The ambient lighting a 12hour timer, we personally have ours from 9am to 9pm. Then your UV fit roughly 4 hours from noon🙂

The ceramic bulbs are going to be on a thermostat, which turns them on/off as and when needed, hence no need for the time with those👍

As for the substrate, in a larger set up, you won’t need to do deep cleans often, every 6-12months, depending how you feel it’s holding up smell wise etc🙂do daily spot cleans, for loose bits of food, poop n stuff👍
Brand wise, I’m not 100% certain what brands you have available, but I believe I’ve seen US members use habistat orchid bark, zoo med reptibark, but also a lot of folks say they go to garden stores and buy bulk bags, you just have to read the small print and make sure it’s 100% natural orchid fir bark, with absolutely no added fertilisers or chemicals, I’m always reluctant recommending that cause I overthink everything🥲but our uk brands aren’t available over there, perhaps mojo will say what he uses😊
If you’re wanting to use coir as a base, I think this brand is available in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW653X2/?tag=

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
hiya! So yeah just your ambient lighting(the leds) and UV will need to be on a timer.
The ambient lighting a 12hour timer, we personally have ours from 9am to 9pm. Then your UV fit roughly 4 hours from noon🙂

The ceramic bulbs are going to be on a thermostat, which turns them on/off as and when needed, hence no need for the time with those👍

As for the substrate, in a larger set up, you won’t need to do deep cleans often, every 6-12months, depending how you feel it’s holding up smell wise etc🙂do daily spot cleans, for loose bits of food, poop n stuff👍
Brand wise, I’m not 100% certain what brands you have available, but I believe I’ve seen US members use habistat orchid bark, zoo med reptibark, but also a lot of folks say they go to garden stores and buy bulk bags, you just have to read the small print and make sure it’s 100% natural orchid fir bark, with absolutely no added fertilisers or chemicals, I’m always reluctant recommending that cause I overthink everything🥲but our uk brands aren’t available over there, perhaps mojo will say what he uses😊
If you’re wanting to use coir as a base, I think this brand is available in the US

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW653X2/?tag=
I use the reptibark and only that. I spot clean as needed. The spring tails do the rest of the cleaning. If it passes the smell test you should be good up to a year.

Dawsonduro

CA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FW653X2/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Okay sounds good thank you guys! I have the Arcadia coming in tmr is that the ambient or UV light? Or does it give out both? Just want to confirm I’m not missing something .

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Okay sounds good thank you guys! I have the Arcadia coming in tmr is that the ambient or UV light? Or does it give out both? Just want to confirm I’m not missing something .
That's the Uv light that will be on the 4 hr timer. For ambient light on the 12hr timer I personally use an led floodlight bulb in the 5500K to 6500K range. You can get this at Lowe's as well. The reasoning for the UV light to be on from noon to 4pm is that is the peak uv times of the sun, and we try and keep their enclosure as close to outside light and uv cycle as possible.

Dawsonduro

CA
That's the Uv light that will be on the 4 hr timer. For ambient light on the 12hr timer I personally use a led floodlight bulb in the 5500K to 6500K range. You can get this at Lowe's as well. The reasoning for the UV light to be on from noon to 4pm is that is the peak uv times of the sun, and we try and keep their enclosure as close to outside light and uv cycle as possible.
Okay cool thanks for clearing that up , do you have any recommendations bulb or brand wise or doesn’t matter much?
Gonna head down to Lowe’s here in a bit.