Red Foot Tortoise Humidity

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Sandy, I've been usung coconut coir for 2 years. I personally love the smell. When warm and damp, it smells so... um, primal.
But... I only use it as a base. I have a topper of damp sphagnum moss at one end and dry cypress mulch at the other. For my new enclosure, I followed other's advice and mixed the coir 50/50 with top soil. We'll see how that goes.
I put smooth river rocks around the water dish in order to keep it cleaner. I overflow the water dish when filling, to keep the base substrate moist. I seeded pretty much the whole enclosure, and am attempting to root some plants. We'll see how that goes since mine, at 2.5 years, are becoming little bulldozers.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
redtailcatfish said:
What would you guys suggest for the humidity of an adult red footed tortoise, she is hanging out in her water bowl much of the day and I think that her current humidity is way to low (50 - 60%). You guys have any suggestions on how to raise it and keep it raised?

I am more concerned on what your temps are... If she is hanging in the water all day, she may be trying to cool off is her enclosure too warm?