Outdoor Humidity

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
I live in Florida and the humidity during the day ranges from 50-60%, and 70-80% from like 7 pm to 9 am. My tortoise is a redfoot and i know their humidity has to be around 80%. How do i keep his humidity high during the day when my enclosure is outdoors? I spray down his enclosure but it dries quickly mid day and im afraid he will get shell rot due to wet substrate. I do have a humid hide which he stays in all day (it’s humidity is 90%+ and its coco fiber substrate in it). the coco fiber also doesnt feel soaking wet, its just moist. Is this ok? Will he get shell rot from the moist coco fiber in the humid hide? Will he get pyramiding or mdb due to the enclosure outside the humid hide being dry or is the hide and the humidity during the night enough to satisfy his needs? If so, what do i do to maintain an all around humidity in the enclosure during the day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Florida and the humidity during the day ranges from 50-60%, and 70-80% from like 7 pm to 9 am. My tortoise is a redfoot and i know their humidity has to be around 80%. How do i keep his humidity high during the day when my enclosure is outdoors? I spray down his enclosure but it dries quickly mid day and im afraid he will get shell rot due to wet substrate. I do have a humid hide which he stays in all day (it’s humidity is 90%+ and its coco fiber substrate in it). the coco fiber also doesnt feel soaking wet, its just moist. Is this ok? Will he get shell rot from the moist coco fiber in the humid hide? Will he get pyramiding or mdb due to the enclosure outside the humid hide being dry or is the hide and the humidity during the night enough to satisfy his needs? If so, what do i do to maintain an all around humidity in the enclosure during the day?
This should not be a problem in FL. Your numbers sound surprising low for where you are. I would have expected them to be higher.

There really isn't any way to keep humidity higher outdoors. Welcome to my world in the SoCal desert... You can use sprinklers and misters on hot days, but you are already aware to watch for shell rot if it is too wet too much of the time. Its a balance you will have to work with and adjust.

Pyramiding is more likely the smaller your tortoise is. Once they get over 5-6 inches, you really don't need to think about this any more in your climate.

They will not get MBD from dry conditions. MBD is caused by low calcium intake and/or lack of D3. If your diet is decent and this tortoise sees sunshine a couple of times per week, you will not see any MBD.

Moist coir should be okay. Watch the plastron for signs of any infection, and adjust as needed. Shell rot is less common when they are housed or spend a lot of time outdoors in my experience, unless their outdoor enclosure is wet, muddy or swampy.

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
This should not be a problem in FL. Your numbers sound surprising low for where you are. I would have expected them to be higher.

There really isn't any way to keep humidity higher outdoors. Welcome to my world in the SoCal desert... You can use sprinklers and misters on hot days, but you are already aware to watch for shell rot if it is too wet too much of the time. Its a balance you will have to work with and adjust.

Pyramiding is more likely the smaller your tortoise is. Once they get over 5-6 inches, you really don't need to think about this any more in your climate.

They will not get MBD from dry conditions. MBD is caused by low calcium intake and/or lack of D3. If your diet is decent and this tortoise sees sunshine a couple of times per week, you will not see any MBD.

Moist coir should be okay. Watch the plastron for signs of any infection, and adjust as needed. Shell rot is less common when they are housed or spend a lot of time outdoors in my experience, unless their outdoor enclosure is wet, muddy or swampy.
i live i miami, which should be very humid, i guess miami is facing a dry month. its also around 6 inches already. Thanks for the reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i live i miami, which should be very humid, i guess miami is facing a dry month. its also around 6 inches already. Thanks for the reply
Yeah... Living outdoors in Miami? Your tortoise is living in red foot paradise. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Plants are your, and your tortoise's friend! Plants and grass are the best and natural way to increase humidity outdoors. That is what creates the microclimates tortoises seek out. I live in a very dry area where summer humidity is often in the teens. But just walk onto a golf course on a hot, dry day, and you will immediately feel the difference.

Add plants and keep things wet enough to grow grass and you will see a huge difference in humidity. Green is good!!!!