How to prevent shell fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am doing some research for my hatchling. Right now I have mosser lee moss as the substrate and the tort loves to hide in it and humidity is always between 60-70%.

My question is how do I (at all times) keep the carapace moist/wet, keep humidity as high as possible, with many mistings a day without causing shell rot? How do you guys do it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think the trick it to have a moist tortoise, but not a moist habitat. Its a fine line. I like to use a substrate that drys out on top when the lights hit it, like cypress mulch. Then have the moist moss inside the hide for him to burrow into. You can also provide plenty of plantings in the habitat to maintain air moisture and not soil moisture. Leave the little plants in their pots so you can only water the plants and not the whole habitat.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I'm with Yvonne. I use a 'bioactive substrate' now (which I will be happy to describe if desired) which can hold water nicely and makes nice humidity, but I keep a layer of cypress mulch on top so they are on a dry, drained surface. I can mist them pretty heavily and the ground they are on is relatively dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.