humidity/shell rot/fungus question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweeter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I was having a terrible time keeping the humidity up for my two little RFs, so this weekend I found a fogger for their home. It's doing great, and the kids seem to really enjoy the humidity.

Right now, the temps are running 83-87F, with humidity 80-95%
My concern now is that everything is kinda damp, and I'm worried that they'll develop a fungus or shell rot. It seems like whenever I check, their shells are moist. They get soaked once or twice a day as well.

I'm using the Mosser-Lee Sphagnum moss, that covers about 3/4 of the floor space. The other 1/4 is paper toweling.

So far their shells look fine, they're very active and eat anything that they can get in their little mouths. I'm so worried I'm going to do something wrong!

Should I be worried about the rot/fungus stuff? Thanks for any advice!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think I would keep em running exactly how you are for now....(the only tweak "I" would do is bump the "hot" side to as close to 90 ish as possible but leave all else exactly as you have described it....awesome to achieve the high humidity huh :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There seems to be some magical combination of moisture and substrate type that contributes to plastron erosion. I experienced it with very damp sphagnum moss, others have seen it on cypress.

My best advice is to have enough air circulation that the air is fresh and most surfaces are relatively dry, and that your substrate, whatever you end up using, is well-drained.

Of course, there is no easy way to allow SOME air flow without compromising the whole humidity thing but many keepers are having great results from areas of high humidity without the whole thing being a cloud forest.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Yup, having the humidity is great, and I can tell they like it as well. I'm going to play some with the substrate and see what I can do. What I had in there before I got the fogger is rather wet, so I think I'll add some dry to it and see if I can get that dry upper layer.

I just didn't know if there was something I'd missed along the way! What a wonderful resource this forum is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.