HUMIDITY HELP!!!

New2reds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello all,
Got a question regarding humidity its driving me crazy. I currently have my red foot in a 55 gallon aquarium with cypress mulch and spag moss. I keep it in my garage being its the warmest/most humid room in the house. I live in SE Louisiana so humidity is plentiful!! Have 2 hides one on the warm side and the other on the cool side. Got my heat emitter on one side and my plant/aquarium tube light on the other. Its an open aquarium. My problem is humidity. When the heat emitter is off the humidity stays above 50%. With it on the humidity will decrease slowly through out the duration. My question is should I close the top in? Will this help? I feel that the cypress mulch (which is on the bottom)is pretty moist and I keep misting the moss about 2 a day. Of course I am misting my red foot 2-3 times a day. My temps have been good (so I think). Right under 90 on warm side and mid to upper 70's on cool side. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jarett

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I cover my indoor habitats with cooking foil...right over the lights and all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, covering will help. I also would not let it get too low. A cold wet tortoise is a sick tortoise. 70 seems a little low to me. Now, however, I don't have RF, so hopefully someone that does will help out here.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yeah I would get the humidity up to about 85-90% maybe even higher. Mine is always at 90% sometimes more. I can adjust my levels of humidity. What are you using to get your humidity up????

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
ILoveTortoises2 said:
Yeah I would get the humidity up to about 85-90% maybe even higher. Mine is always at 90% sometimes more. I can adjust my levels of humidity. What are you using to get your humidity up????

Right now I am only using the misting with a spray bottle method. I have moist cypress mulch on the bottom and spag moss on the top and in the hides. My red foot seems comfortable I am just worried about the humidity. Any recommendations on getting the humidity up? Those foggers are kinda pricey to me. What are you guys using? I've only had the little guy/gal for 2 weeks now. Just trying to get things right so I can relax. I am a nervous wreck that something is wrong and going to happen!!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ok you will need to get a good humidifier that is what a lot of ppl use here to get there humidity up. I did the spray method but ended up with a little tort with beginnings of shell rot. Redfoots are prone to Shell rot so I would get a humidifier so this won't happen. I haven't had a problem since I switched from spraying. I also make sure once a week or if I need to it another time during the week is pour water in the corners of the enclosure so that the top soil doesn't get wet just the bottom and that will also help the humidity. Learned that one from a person on here and works great :)

Oh also is the mister your talking about from Petco?? If so I would return that because you won't need that at all because like I said it will just get the top of the soil wet and then they would get shell rot down the line. So just a little thought. Hope this helps :)

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
ILoveTortoises2 said:
Ok you will need to get a good humidifier that is what a lot of ppl use here to get there humidity up. I did the spray method but ended up with a little tort with beginnings of shell rot. Redfoots are prone to Shell rot so I would get a humidifier so this won't happen. I haven't had a problem since I switched from spraying. I also make sure once a week or if I need to it another time during the week is pour water in the corners of the enclosure so that the top soil doesn't get wet just the bottom and that will also help the humidity. Learned that one from a person on here and works great :)

Oh also is the mister your talking about from Petco?? If so I would return that because you won't need that at all because like I said it will just get the top of the soil wet and then they would get shell rot down the line. So just a little thought. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the information!!! About the humidifier, do you just let it run in the room with the enclosure or do you pipe in the humidity? The reason I'm asking is because my enclosure is in my garage which is pretty big (double car). I have a lot of things in it that really can't get too wet (bikes, fishing gear, car, etc). I know it seems like my situation is complicated but its the only place where I really have the room.
That is one of the foggers I saw, I also saw it on amazon.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
oh wow didn't know your enclosure was that big lol...I put a tub on mine and let it go right in the enclosure... Let me find the humidifier I have for you so you can get an idea on what you will need

New2reds

5 Year Member
Louisiana
ILoveTortoises2 said:
oh wow didn't know your enclosure was that big lol...I put a tub on mine and let it go right in the enclosure... Let me find the humidifier I have for you so you can get an idea on what you will need

Oh no what I meant was that my 55 gallon aquarium where my red foot stays is in my garage. It happens to be the only room where I can really keep him/her where the temps are warm and most humid. we keep our house cold at night!!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
OHHH.. LOL. Sorry thought you meant that that was there enclosure. Sorry ok so what you can do is get a humidifier and get a tube and put the tube right in the tank and there is there humidity... Sorry for the delay I went to put my daughter down for bed and fell asleep myself LOL :p

Here is the humidifier I have.....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O3I2CG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20