Kleinmanni tortoise table

Salspi

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago

Most people tell me that they use pure oyster shell. Chris’ table looks incredible and his substrate certainly isn’t pure oyster shell.

What do you guys think? Im designing/building a tortoise table for an Egyptian tortoise. To be honest, I know most of the options but I don’t know the best option. Anyone with long term success please feel free to give any advice. Thank you!

TiffanyVL

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA USA
Currently I have my adult egyps on a mixture of sand and oyster shell .

I also have a large wandering jew plant in the middle. They like to hide under and nibble on plants. They're not very picky critters it seems. They do like to slightly dig and nestle into the substrate when sleeping, so maybe a softer type of substrate is best.

I currently keep my babies on a mix of coco bark and reptile soil - it helps hold moisture better.

Salspi

Chicago
Yes -I have read all his articles... I’m going with oyster shell in an enclosed vivarium for the first few years and then switching to a tortoise table after that time. I had thought about using RHP for the heating element but I was advised to go with basking bulbs to simulate the sun.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Yes -I have read all his articles... I’m going with oyster shell in an enclosed vivarium for the first few years and then switching to a tortoise table after that time. I had thought about using RHP for the heating element but I was advised to go with basking bulbs to simulate the sun.

Sounds great. Are you planning on trying to grow any succulents in the vivarium, or sticking with plastic plants since the substrate will be oyster shell?

Salspi

Chicago
I’m going plastic pots with edible plants. Aloe, jade and some spineless opuntia. I’m also going to add a tray of clover and purslane. They need the weeds. LOL.

Then I’ll feed dandelion along with tortoise pellets.