Knobby

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe I introduced "Knobby" on the chat. But I thought I'd like to write a bit about him and how he's doing. also have a message for the new keepers, or inexperienced people who have inherited a Sulcata. I volunteer at the Chintimini Wildlife Center. Some jerk found a tortoise walking across the road in Portland, 100 miles away, and he brings it to Corvallis and the 'center', they call me, and I go immediately and get him. This is Knobby.....

DSCN2894.JPG
His bottom jaw sticks out about 1/8th of an inch. He's never grazed, been in water, or eaten any fiber. He gave me a very nice poop, so I squished it up and there was no grass, hay, weeds etc. Basically it smelled like cat food. ACTUALLY, I collect all my tortoise's breakfast from outside, and he ate like a lion eating a gazelle.

DSCN2896.JPG
He's settled in, is eating so good, is terrified of water, nosy, curious, and lively. I don't think he has MBD. He's not soft anywhere, his legs are normally strong. I have great hopes for him. He's got a cute face and a nice personality.
I am hoping this pyramiding is purely cosmetic. Who knows if he has organ damage. He is the same length as a year old foster that I raised in a humid hide who is basically smooth. She weighs 477 grams, Knobby is 507 grams.
So my message to new keepers or anybody who has a Sulcata dumped on them. Please do your research.
This animal did not have 85% humidity or high temps. Sulcata are NOT desert animals. The babies are born during the monsoon season, Sulcata live on a savanna. They come from Africa, Egypt and Senegal too, right now they have 90% humidity and 96 degrees there. He most probably has organ damage from the lack of water, so I don't think he'll live to be 200, maybe 5 or 6 years. But lets hope I am wrong about that. I had 2 Sulcata who swam daily. One is dead now, but I have a 2 yr old who goes into the pond for a swim every morning. Please read the stickies at the beginning of the Sulcata section. Ask questions. I personally believe that cute baby Sulcata who is actually is the third largest species in the world needs an experienced keeper. The hatchlings are difficult to keep and more than half die at the hands of an inexperienced keeper.
So my plea is this to noobs... please start out with an easy species to keep. Redfoots, Russians, so many smaller species that are easier to keep when they are babies.
Look at Knobby, he is deformed, for the rest of his life. Do YOU want to do that to any animal?

Here is Sam swimming....

DSCN2346.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's just nothing to say, Maggie. Wow.

Nibs

Sounds like he has a great home now, and a good learning point. I had my two as unexpected gifts and have had to learn a lot very quickly to try and avoid similar issues, its not an experience I would recommend.

On a side note, I had no idea Sulcata's swam - whilst mine have access to water all the time and a mud bath I have always kept the water to the level that they could drink from it but not deeper. Really interesting to see the swimming picture.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
You should start more thread and type more mag!
I read a lot about sulcata swimming, i'm going to give toro his first. excited to see what reponse i will get from him.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Great thread Maggie!
Thank you!
My rescue Shelly loves to swim. She even blows water out of her nose