Krista - New to the Tortoise World

krista.lena

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello, I'm Krista and I live in Southern California. This little tortoise was recently found lost in front of my garage. I don't have any experience with tortoises, so I'm not sure what specie it is. I don't want to make a guess or assumption for it to be wrong, so I'll post the pic here. Any tips and advice is welcome on how to take care of this type of tortoise, or even a link to another thread about it if anyone knows how to do that. I'm still getting the hang of this app, but I want to be able to provide it a really good life.

IMG_1202.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Could you get a picture of the front? This appears to be a desert tortoise, which I believe is native to California, or a Sulcata. If it is a desert tortoise, I would recommend releasing it where you found it.

Here’s an article about desert tortoises-
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/dpw/Land/especies/DesertTortoise.aspx

Definitely wait for a second opinion.

krista.lena

San Diego
Could you get a picture of the front? This appears to be a desert tortoise, which I believe is native to California, or a Sulcata. If it is a desert tortoise, I would recommend releasing it where you found it.

Here’s an article about desert tortoises-
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/dpw/Land/especies/DesertTortoise.aspx

Definitely wait for a second opinion.

I live in one of those areas where you'll find a lot of people with tortoises, goats, chickens, horses, etc. , so I'm thinking it escaped from someone's backyard, especially since it was at my garage rather than in the wild.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Krista, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a baby sulcata. They get to be about 150lbs and you have to keep them warm in winter, as they don't hibernate.

Someone in your neighborhood has an adult breeding pair and this baby was either carried off by a bird, or escaped through a hole in their fence. There are probably 20 or 30 more of them where he came from.

If you plan to keep him please be sure to read our care sheets for baby sulcata tortoises. You can find many informative threads pinned at the top of our sulcata section.

(Macy: You can tell the difference between the CDT and sulcata from this picture because of the nuchal scute. CDT has a nuchal scute, while the sulcata does not)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
(Macy: You can tell the difference between the CDT and sulcata from this picture because of the nuchal scute. CDT has a nuchal scute, while the sulcata does not)
Ah, I’ll be sure to remember that. Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas