Lady Hermann not her usual self

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Zola, my retainer has been carefully ascertaining that I am the correct weight to be allowed to begin my winter night.
I am 1513g and my shell stem to stern measures 19 cm straight measurement.
So my Jackson ratio is showing 0.22
Apparently this is fairly ok for my long cold adventure in the fridge.
I hope you are keeping well and warm, and will think of you enjoying your special Brussels sprout! Bon appetit mon ami.
Au revoir...
My dear and treasured Lady, it was an unexpected pleasure to hear from you - especially as I have not yet replied to your previous communication, in which you described the shocking behaviour of your retainers in attempting to destroy your carefully arranged personal accommodation. I was very impressed with your forthright rejection of their efforts to improve things, and I hope this will teach them what they should have realised by now - that you know best !! I was horrified to hear of their foolish mistake, and am sure they will be much more careful in future. Of course, one cannot expect these humans to have quite the delicate sensibilities of a distinguished tortoise such as yourself, and they mean well, I know, but really !!!
I am sorry you will be retiring into your winter sleep, but of course, you know what you need. I shall be thinking of you frequently, and sending loving goodnight wishes to you every evening, as I always do. I appreciate the photos you sent me - may I say that your shell looks more beautiful all the time - at least your retainer is taking good care of you in that respect. I seem to be putting on some new shell growth, and frankly would prefer not to, as my Papa might find it harder to carry me about - however, it probably won't amount to much.
I hope you will have a happy time in your fridge, with pleasant dreams, and will awake refreshed to a better year for all of us next year.
I send you my deepest affection and admiration, and look forward to being able to talk with you again in the spring.
Keep well and safe, dear friend
Zola xxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth, guardian of the most precious and wonderful Lady, my Mama and I would like to wish you and your family a Happy Christmas. Here is a photo of me doing my Annual Ocean Check.
With love and best wishes from Zola xxx and Angie xxx
and a pleasant and refreshing rest for the lovely sleeping Lady Teztez xxx
tortoise-lookout-Edit_red-hat.jpg

ruthiepo

Location (City and/or State)
Chippenham
Dear And Noble Zola
You look very wise and gorgeous doing your Ocean Check.
I hope you have a lovely Christmas with Richard and Angie and that you enjoy your special treats.
The treasured Lady is sleeping in her fridge. The temperature is checked several times a day and her well being ensured. I am missing her terribly. She decided herself to hibernate, she had had a last warm bath and rehydrate, then walked with decision up her ramp into her hut and settled down under her soft cloths. The temperature of the room was around 12 degrees and she slept without disturbance. Then after 4 days I carefully transferred her to her box and covered her with bark and insulation and put her in her fridge. She reacts a little when we open the fridge to refresh the air and light shines in.
I assure you I will carefully guard and watch over her until spring comes again.
With much love and fondest regards and best wishes from Ruth, guardian of the sleeping Teztez xxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear Zola,
Ruth here, just wondering how you are getting on, and how Richard and Angie are doing.
We often think of you all, and trust that you are all well and keeping warm in this very cold winter.
The sleeping Teztez is in clover in her private fridge; at a comfortable 5 degrees it is a jolly sight warmer than outside.
i am so glad we didn't give in to her about spending the winter dug into the garden. it has been so dreadfully cold, one snap of minus 10 degrees and minus 5 degrees this week, not to mention all the torrential rain; i feel sure that she is better off in her dry, chilled box.
We think of you in your cosy, lighted conservatory, all festive and comfortable and send you shell strokes for your beautiful golden shell and gorgeous legs.
We hope that Richard and Angie are well.
much love to you all from Ruth and the slumbering Lady Teztez xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Zola,
Ruth here, just wondering how you are getting on, and how Richard and Angie are doing.
We often think of you all, and trust that you are all well and keeping warm in this very cold winter.
The sleeping Teztez is in clover in her private fridge; at a comfortable 5 degrees it is a jolly sight warmer than outside.
i am so glad we didn't give in to her about spending the winter dug into the garden. it has been so dreadfully cold, one snap of minus 10 degrees and minus 5 degrees this week, not to mention all the torrential rain; i feel sure that she is better off in her dry, chilled box.
We think of you in your cosy, lighted conservatory, all festive and comfortable and send you shell strokes for your beautiful golden shell and gorgeous legs.
We hope that Richard and Angie are well.
much love to you all from Ruth and the slumbering Lady Teztez xxx
Dear Ruth - it was lovely to hear from you, and to know that Her Gloriousness is safely asleep. I say goodnight to you and her every night,when I am safely in my sleeping box.I have been having a busy time, guarding my mum during her migraine injections, and taking care of her at other times too. One new activity in which she has joined me is sitting by the fire which my dad lights every evening, and allowing her to hold and stroke my shell, with the main light off - I sit on her chest, with my head up to her chin, and she strokes me constantly for about half an hour, until my dad fetches her for her supper, and puts me back in my room. I'm sure she finds it very soothing, and I sometimes lift my head up to touch her face. We have been doing this every evening for some time now - I really think she appreciates it a lot.
Tomorrow is my half-birthday (and my dad's birthday too).I am not sure if there will be much of a celebration - except I shall get some special food, and some cards. My parents are not keen to go anywhere special, because it's so cold. We saw some daffodils in Bude today, but I am more concerned with how long it will be before there are some new leaves on the dandelions!!
I do hope you are all well. Please give my deepest regards to The Lady when you next check on her (but only whispering - I don't want to disturb her )
Love from Zola xxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - Zola and I have been wondering when the Most Amazing Lady Ever is likely to start gradually awakening ? We have been saying goodnight to her every night, but have not had a sense that she has picked up our message yet.
We hope you and your family are all well - Zola still has his daily trips to the sea, of course, but it is still pretty cold here, and we haven't gone far -apart from a trip to Barnstaple to a fruit and veg warehouse, where the owner is delighted to see Zola, and chooses the most enormous radicchios for him. We are very glad to find this place, as the shop we have gone to for some time has now closed and become a tattoo parlour !
Love from Zola and myself too ,of course - and we look forward to news of The Lady. xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Dear And most noble Zola, it was lovely to hear from you, we think of you every day and wonder how you are getting on during this cold weather.
Thank you for your kind good night wishes; I am sure they do find their way to Teztez in her fridge, as she seems very peaceful and is doing well so far. I open her fridge every day and check her thermometers, and uncover her carefully to look at her nose and legs.
She moves her head a little bit as the light shines in and it's reassuring to know she is still there, waiting for spring.
We thought of you all on Sunday and Monday nights, as we read that the Northern Lights were visible throughout the South West.
We didn't really see anything dramatic, perhaps a hint of pink glow in the Northern sky.
I am so glad you have found another radicchio source. I am sure he is honoured to be your personal supplier. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the crisp refreshing leaves.
Hoping Richard, Angie and your gorgeous self remain in good health, much love from Ruth, guardian of the sleeping treasure. Xxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear And most noble Zola, it was lovely to hear from you, we think of you every day and wonder how you are getting on during this cold weather.
Thank you for your kind good night wishes; I am sure they do find their way to Teztez in her fridge, as she seems very peaceful and is doing well so far. I open her fridge every day and check her thermometers, and uncover her carefully to look at her nose and legs.
She moves her head a little bit as the light shines in and it's reassuring to know she is still there, waiting for spring.
We thought of you all on Sunday and Monday nights, as we read that the Northern Lights were visible throughout the South West.
We didn't really see anything dramatic, perhaps a hint of pink glow in the Northern sky.
I am so glad you have found another radicchio source. I am sure he is honoured to be your personal supplier. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the crisp refreshing leaves.
Hoping Richard, Angie and your gorgeous self remain in good health, much love from Ruth, guardian of the sleeping treasure. Xxx
Dear Ruth and your most remarkable and delightful Lady
I hope you will like this photo of me distributing Easter eggs
Much love from Zola and from my parents - we await news of the lovely Lady awakening xxxxx
Easter-basket2.jpg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Dear Ruth - I thought you and the magnificent Lady might be amused to see me choosing my Easter egg - some people might think I was being greedy, but you, knowing what you do about me, will not be surprised by me heading towards the large one, as it is the only radicchio there. bonnet2sm.jpg

Love and best wishes from my parents, and of course from me, Zola xxxxx

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Zola has the most beautiful Easter bonnet, and such lovely treats. Must have been on very good behavior....

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Zola has the most beautiful Easter bonnet, and such lovely treats. Must have been on very good behavior....
I had planned to take the photos outside among the primroses on our lawn, but it was very windy, and there was no way we could fix his hat to his shell safely, because of the way it's made.
Angie

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Hello Zola and Angie,
We Brough Teztez out of her long sleep in the fridge and she is relaxing in her first tepid bath.
I am a bit worried as she has exhaled some slimy phlegm like mucus, I'm worried incas

ruthiepo

Chippenham
In case she has an infection, do you think this is normal, after a long time without a bath, or do you think she has a respiratory infection?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I can't remember if she did this before.
The slimy phlegm is white
Hello Ruth - how nice to see the lovely Lady again. I would think she is just flushing out stuff which has built up since she went in to her fridge. If it goes on for more than a few days, then it might be time to rethink. Perhaps tipping a bit of her bath water over her head would help the flushing. In your photos, she seems to have new growth lines,which is impressive after being in hibernation. !! I'm sure Zola will be pleased to see the photos. but he has had two expeditions today - on the moor, to look for lambs and bluebells, and then to the sea this afternoon, with his dad - so he is pretty much tired out now.
Don't worry about Teztez - I am not an expert, as you know, but I think the slimy stuff would be perfectly normal - in any case, how would she get an infection while in her fridge ??
Love from Angie and Zola xxxxx

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you Angie, hope Zola has had a lovely day
Dear Ruth - I've been thinking abour the Lady a lot, and I hope she has had a peaceful night - please let Zola and me know how she is today.
Love from us both xxxxx

ruthiepo

Chippenham
Good morning dear Angie and Zola,

Thank you both very much for your kind thoughts.
The Lady seems quite well in herself this morning; she has had another warm bath and no sign of mucus this time thankfully. Her nostrils seem clear. She has been walking around near the Aga and has her heat lamp rigged up nearby. she has reclaimed her hut and has been scraping and bumping around in it. I put a supply of freshly washed and dried orchid bark in there and hopefully she has accepted it.
She hasn't eaten anything yet although i have offered her soggies and dandelions.
no toilet breaks yet either! Still, all this activity will help i daresay.
Her weight, yesterday, before her bath was 1485g so she lost a little bit of weight since last December, but not too bad.
We hope you are enjoying your spring adventures, gorgeous Super Zola, and hope you have some warm sunshine to luxuriate in.
With love from the Lady Teztez and her retainer, Ruth xx